title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping to FLAC Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thejamesjr
    • Jul 2011

Ripping to FLAC Questions

I'm ripping my CD's to FLAC and have a few questions.

1. Besides the file size, whats the difference/benefits of encoding to uncompressed VS compressed FLAC?
    2. Can uncompressed FLAC be converted to compressed FLAC?
    3. How do I properly create a CUE Sheet... do I create this separately after I have ripped the CD? If so, do I encode to: [CUE Sheet Image], FLAC, or WAV?
    4. Can PerfectMeta be used on a music that has already been ripped?

I apologize in advanced if some of my questions seem a bit foolish.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping to FLAC Questions

1. Slightly less CPU required to process the file
    2. Yes
    3. You must rip to Cue Sheet Image whilst ripping, note this currently gives a single file.
    4. Not yet, we are working on this and is about 6 months away
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• thejamesjr
      • Jul 2011

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but do you have any idea as to when DBPoweramp might support CUE Sheets with separate tracks? I am debating whether I should rip to FLAC while I have my CD's out.

Thanks.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by thejamesjr
        I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but do you have any idea as to when DBPoweramp might support CUE Sheets with separate tracks? I am debating whether I should rip to FLAC while I have my CD's out.

Thanks.
        I don't know if it's been asked a million times, but I have seen several users ask that question. And I'm always curious....what's the application? I try to imagine what people want CUE sheets for when they're ripping their CDs.....so I guess I'll just ask!

Comment

• thejamesjr
          • Jul 2011

What do you mean, what's the application?

From what I understand, a CUE Sheet is a text file that contains the exact details and layout of tracks of a CD. So let's say that you're music gets lost or damaged, you will than be able to burn an exact copy of that CD. I suppose in my case, having a CUE Sheet is not really necessary, as I don't listen to CD's anymore. It is nice to have though if i'm going through the trouble of ripping my music collection.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2011

I know what a CUE sheet is...that wasn't my question. Rather, when somebody is ripping their CDs to use their music use on their computers, media players, etc., they're already ripping the separate tracks rather than one big file. (They have to, because that's the way digital media players work.) So I'm just wondering why someone would also want a CUE file in that situation. (I.e., what's the "application" of the CUE file for these users....)

Comment

• thejamesjr
              • Jul 2011

I'm not sure 100% sure, but I think the reason is because most people who rip there CD's to FLAC do so, so that they have an original lossless copy of there music saved. If they lose or damage the original CD, they can just burn a new copy. This is where a CUE Sheet comes into play.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
                I know what a CUE sheet is...that wasn't my question. Rather, when somebody is ripping their CDs to use their music use on their computers, media players, etc., they're already ripping the separate tracks rather than one big file. (They have to, because that's the way digital media players work.) So I'm just wondering why someone would also want a CUE file in that situation. (I.e., what's the "application" of the CUE file for these users....)
                But many players can play the single file as separate tracks with cue sheet.(foobar2000, squeezebox, and others). So, no, they don't actually have to rip to separate tracks. That said, there is little or no practical use to cue sheets. In the old days they were needed to get gapless playback. But this is no longer needed.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by garym
                  But many players can play the single file as separate tracks with cue sheet.(foobar2000, squeezebox, and others). So, no, they don't actually have to rip to separate tracks. That said, there is little or no practical use to cue sheets. In the old days they were needed to get gapless playback. But this is no longer needed.
                  Thanks for the reply...that's what I thought.

Comment

• thejamesjr
                    • Jul 2011

Is it possible to convert FLAC and WAV files, that were originally ripped in the separate track format, to a single image format? Also how about converting single image FLAC or WAV files to seperate tracks?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by thejamesjr
                      Is it possible to convert FLAC and WAV files, that were originally ripped in the separate track format, to a single image format? Also how about converting single image FLAC or WAV files to seperate tracks?
                      The first scenario, if you mean simply selecting a collection of individual files and creating an image file of that collection, could easily be handled by an imaging program, like ImgBurn. (But if you meant literally combining them into one audio file first, that's more complicated and requires an audio editor, AFAIK.)

I'm not sure what you mean with the second scenario. If you have an image file, you use an imaging program to burn it to disc. Whatever went into the image.....whether a single or a collection of FLAC or WAV files.....is what will come out.
                      Last edited by BrodyBoy; November 20, 2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>