title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Hang under VmWare Fusion 4 when inserting CD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ipomea
    • Nov 2011

Hang under VmWare Fusion 4 when inserting CD

I have two CD/DVD drives in a Mac Pro, one of which works fine from VmWare Fusion 4 with DbPoweramp. I'm loving that--thanks Spoon!

The other, newer drive hangs when I insert a CD on "Detecting Gaps:". A few times, it got to "Detecting Indices:", but never came out of that. While this is going on, the UI of the Windows VM is unresponsive, and the titlebar of DbPoweramp says "Not Responding". There is no CPU load, and the disc seems to be spinning, but not at high rpm. If I disconnect the drive from the Vm (using the VmWare menu for that), after 60 seconds or so DbPoweramp unfreezes and gives the track listing, at the moment the drive disconnects.

I've seen the earlier advice for using advanced options on the drive in VmWare, but as far as I can tell those options are not available under VmWare Fusion 4.

Here is what DbPoweramp says about the drive:

Manufacturer: NECVMWar
    CD Drive: VMware IDE CDR01
    Firmware: 1.00
    Serial:
    Maximum Speed: 8467 KB/sec (x47)
    Current Speed: 8467 KB/sec (x47)
    Spin-down After: 32 seconds
    Buffer Size: 2 MB
    Accurate Stream: Yes
    C2 Error Pointers: No
    Reads ISRC: Yes
    Reads UPC: Yes

I've wondered if dropping the maximum speed would help, but I don't see a way to do that. The physical drive is an LG HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22NP21. I tried hooking an external USB drive into the VM, and that also experienced hangs.

Meanwhile, all three drives work fine for other purposes in the VmWare image, for example with Windows Media Player. This is under Win 7 Enterprise x64.

Any thoughts about what's going on?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Hang under VmWare Fusion 4 when inserting CD

Detecting Gap uses low level subcodes, it is likely there is an incompatibility between this drive and vmware.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ipomea
      • Nov 2011

Re: Hang under VmWare Fusion 4 when inserting CD

Good call. I replaced the (new) LG drive with a Plextor DVDR PX-L871A, and now things are working great. The Plextor is so much better than my original Mac Pro drive at ripping it's not funny. I rarely see a retried frame now.

Comment

Working...

]]>