title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cd Tag Info Display on Playback

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laz Baz
    • May 2011

Cd Tag Info Display on Playback

I rip CDs to FLAC files and store on an external hard drive. I play them through Onkyo TX-NR-609 Receiver via its USB input.

1. When a CD is ripped by Exact Audio Copy(EAC) software, on playback the information shown on the screen are (1) Track title (2) Track elapsed time (3) Album name and (4) Album Artist.
    But,
    2. When a CD is ripped by dBpoweramp ripper software, on playback the information shown on the screen are (1) Track title (2) Track elapsed time but (3) & (4) are just dashes (no info).

What setup do I need to impliment on the dBpoweramp so I can see all the 4 information on the screen?

Regards
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: Cd Tag Info Display on Playback

Are you sure those tags are being saved when you rip in dBp? (Album Artist, in particular, isn't always there automatically.) Have you set up any ID Tag manipulations? Perhaps you've inadvertently altered how, or whether, those are saved.

Comment

• Laz Baz
      • May 2011

Hi Brodyboy,

I believe, the info mentioned by you are all saved. Track properties on the ID Tag show;
      EAC: Artist,Title,Album,Track,Year & Genre
      dBp: Artist,Title,Album,Track,Year & Genre and a few more other info as well.
      So why is the display not extracting the two missing info?

Anyone to my rescue?

Regards

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Most likely a bug in the Onkyo, eitehr from having multiple artists, or some of the extra tags, manually remove the other tags and see if helps.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Laz Baz
          • May 2011

Spoon,
          1. Thanks for the advice. I have renoved manually from one track to test, all other info, leaving just "Artist,Title,Album,Track,Year & Genre". But still the Album name & Album Artist does not show.
          2. I could attach screen shots of the ID Tags but I do not know how to attach the word file on this post.
          Do you have any other suggestion?
          regards

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Try also removing the album art as a test.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Laz Baz
              • May 2011

1. I deleted the album art form the 11 tracks I had already ripped. On playback the 1st track gave all the 4 info but the rest of the tracks gave just the first 2 info.
              2. I ripped the same CD without the album art and on playback none of the tracks are giving all the 4 info, just the first two as said before.
              3. Would I have to remove the setting that captures the album art before ripping? If so I do not know where to get into to remove that.
              Please advise.
              Regards

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

I'm just thinking aloud here....since removing album art did have an impact in a couple cases, maybe the Onkyo has a bug limiting the size of the FLAC metadata it can read. Maybe you could try decreasing the FLAC IDTag padding?

Comment

• Laz Baz
                  • May 2011

1. Good thinking! Would you please explain how I can reduce the FLAC IDTag? Where & how do I do it?
                  2. Just thinking aloud too.. since the tracks ripped by EAC gives all the 4 info for all the tracks, would this mean the Onkyo is handling the FLAC metadata OK? Are EAC and dBpoweramp IDTags copied differently?
                  regards

Comment

• Laz Baz
                    • May 2011

I have removed the album IDTag from the settings and ripped 11 tracks of a CD. Still the second & third info does not show on the tracks (post *1 item 2).
                    Spoon is there a Bug in dBp software?
                    Any other members, do you have any suggestions?
                    Regards

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp has created possibly millions of FLAC files, if there was an issue we would have heard of it years ago.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Laz Baz
                        1. Good thinking! Would you please explain how I can reduce the FLAC IDTag? Where & how do I do it?
                        2. Just thinking aloud too.. since the tracks ripped by EAC gives all the 4 info for all the tracks, would this mean the Onkyo is handling the FLAC metadata OK? Are EAC and dBpoweramp IDTags copied differently?
                        regards
                        Sorry I didn't see you post earlier. (My subscriptions and notifications must not be set up right....I never get notifications of new posts. :()

Anyway, there are several configurable settings for FLAC metadata in the dBpoweramp Configuration utility.
                        • (Windows Start Button-> dBpowermp Music Converter -> Configuration -> dBpoweramp Configuration)
                        • Select the "Codecs" tab when the dialog windows opens
                        • Select "flac" in the encoders section, then click the "Advanced Options" button at the bottom of the window

There, you can change the padding option. Also, check the other settings. Perhaps your Onkyo is particular about ID3v2 vs Vorbis tags, or maybe Unicode vs ANSI if you're using ID3v2.

Comment

• Laz Baz
                          • May 2011

BrodyBoy,
                          Thanks for coming back.
                          When I purchased and downloaded dmc 14.2 software, I got dBpoweramp CD Ripper, dBpoweramp Music Converter and dBpoweramp Batch Converter.
                          I had been using CD Ripper for ripping my CDs to FLAC. As you mention the Music Converter, I am begining to wonder if I ought to back to basics as I may be jumping ahead of myself.
                          I just used the Music converter to rip on CD with the default settings and the outcome is the same as before. I will look into it in more detail for the configuration once I know what I should be doing.
                          Q1: Should I be using CD Ripper or Music Converter to rip my CDs?
                          Q2: Do they both do the same job? If so why have 2 software when 1 can do the job? To me CD Ripper seems more accurate.
                          When Music Converter is opened it asks for disc to be inserted. Then I have to inport the tracks & set the file type (FLAC), destination folder and the namings. On the Options, DSP effects can be added. There is one "ID Tag Processing", which I added.

So I am still struggling.
                          Regards

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Q1 - CD Ripper as Music Converter will get no metadata
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Laz Baz
                              BrodyBoy,

So I am still struggling.
                              Regards
                              Did you try changing the configuration options I mentioned? What we're really talking about is the tags not being read properly, as I assume the music file itself plays just fine. So I think you should focus on finding the specific requirements of the Onkyo (for reading flac tags) and/or determining exactly what kind of tags those other flac files are using.

Comment

Working...

]]>