title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC IDTag Padding Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShiggsUndergrnd
    • Jun 2011

FLAC IDTag Padding Questions

In dbpoweramp Configuration's Advanced Settings, is an option for FLAC IDTag Padding. The default was 4KB, but before I started re-ripping my files, I changed it to 512KB. In the FLAC Help files provided with dbpoweramp, it states:

FLAC IDTag Padding as Vorbis Comments are at the beginning of the file it is advantageous to insert padding so if the ID Tags change then the whole file does not need rewriting. When encoding a file dBpoweramps Flac encoder will automatically set the padding to the expected ID Tag size, saving rewriting the whole file.

My questions are:
    1. I have my IDTag Padding settings set to 512KB. Since it is said that dbpoweramp's FLAC encoder will auto-set the padding to the "expected ID Tag size", does it mean that all of my FLAC files have 512KB of padding, regardless of whether or not I'm using up that data or does the encoder give just enough padding to cover all the tags and album art that was given at the time of the rip?

2. That paragraph also mentions "saving rewriting the whole file." Under what circumstances would cause a file to have to be rewritten, and if a file ever gets to that point, will a program (dbpoweramp or otherwise) give the user a warning? Will that file no longer hold integrity? Will a file that used to be a perfect quality rip lose its perfect quality? What happens to it?

I ask these questions because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I find myself changing my mind and adding more tags (not a whole lot, but enough to get a good amount of detail) to my FLAC files. Later, I may even want to add back cover, insert art, and god knows what else to my files. I'd just like to know if I'll be fine and if not, is there a way to check how much padding space is left for adding to a FLAC file's vorbis comments?

Much thanks in advance!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FLAC IDTag Padding Questions

You will be getting Tag + 512KB

Normally 4KB is more than enough, as the album art has the potential for making the file rewrite, the art size dbpoweramp wants to write is already taken into account. With editing text tags, you are not going to use up 4KB normally.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ShiggsUndergrnd
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
      You will be getting Tag + 512KB

Normally 4KB is more than enough, as the album art has the potential for making the file rewrite, the art size dbpoweramp wants to write is already taken into account. With editing text tags, you are not going to use up 4KB normally.
      So to clarify, I'm getting the FLAC file with the padding necessary for the tags specified at the time of the rip IN ADDITION TO 512KB more of padding space?

Comment

• dbfan
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jan 2011

Yes

Comment

Working...

]]>