title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Different handling of tags CD Ripper/ID tag editor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeyMs92
    • Jun 2011

Different handling of tags CD Ripper/ID tag editor?

Hi,

Lately I've been trying to organize my music metatags a bit. Generally I use the metadata function in CD ripper to get most of the metadata, and then use the ID tag editor to make it absolutely perfect.

Today I noticed something weird: each track which has multiple of the same tags (e.g. multiple artists, composers) is handled differently by Winamp and Mp3tag depending on whether the specific tag originates from the CD Ripper or was edited later in the tag editor.

For example, say I input for Artist "Mister A; Mister B". When it is straight from the CD Ripper, Winamp and Mp3tag show it normally: (case 1)

Artist: Mister A; Mister B

But When I input it later in the tag editor Winamp and Mp3tag show this: (case 2)

Artist: Mister A
    Artist: Mister B

In dbpoweramp it's always shown as case 1. My first question is, what causes all this?

My last question is partly related to the Winamp library. It so happens that both of these cases cause problems. When it is case 1, Winamp doesn't seperate the artist by the semicolon, which results in several artists per artist entry. With case 2, Winamp only grabs the first artist (Mister A) and throws away the others. In the ideal situation Winamp uses every artist as one artist enty. My last question is this possible?
    Last edited by KeyMs92; June 19, 2011, 03:40 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Different handling of tags CD Ripper/ID tag editor?

Install 'Audio Info' codec from the utility section of codec central above, then convert a CD ripped file (case 1) to 'Audio Information', enable the extensive fields. Do the same for case 2 please.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• KeyMs92
      • Jun 2011

Alright, first off I was a bit stupid to say that CD ripper and the tag editor were different in their output. It turns out they are exactly the same (sorry, I was confused :blush.

That said, mp3tag and winamp read and write tags differently than dbpoweramp. That can be clearly seen from the audio information converter:

dbpoweramp:
      Artist: Bernard HaitinkVladimir AshkenazyRobert ScheiweinVienna Philharmonic Orchestra

BTW, when I copy this line to a more advanced text editor, it picks up the 'enters' between the names and displays it in list form.

And for mp3tag/winamp:
      ARTIST: Bernard Haitink; Vladimir Ashkenazy; Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

So clearly a different tag format is used, but I'm wondering what that is.. Maybe the versions differ?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It is likely that Winamp cannot handle multiple artist FLAC tags, the standard for Vorbis Comments is:

artist=artist1
        artist=artist2

So the two artists are written to two separate tag values internally. We have the ID Tag processing DSP which can force a '; ' and would create 1 artist value of:

artist=artist1; artist2

but this is against the vorbis tagging specification.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• KeyMs92
          • Jun 2011

I see, that explains why dbpoweramp still shows it as 'artist1; artist2' even though they're really seperate tags. Since Winamp doesn't support this and only gets the first entry, would there be a way to convert one format to the other? I've done it all manually now, but I'm starting to regret it now since mistakes can be easily made... :(

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The problem is, you might change your tags to suit Winamp, then in the future you change player (say to foobar), or Winamp fix the issue, then you are left with ID tags which are non-ideal.

dBpoweramp can batch change these tags though, visit Codec Central >> Utility Codecs >> and install [id tag processing]

Convert all the files to [ID Tag Processing] with the option previously mentioned set.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>