title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Strange Issue

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jigglybootch
    • May 2011

Strange Issue

I have two computers with two different drives. One has a Lite-On iHAP422-98. The other has a Plextor PX-L890SA. I have dBpoweramp set up on both systems and both drives are correctly configured with regards to offsets, C2, cache, etc. I'm not sure if the Plextor can overread or not, though I have it set to yes and it hasn't given me any problems.

I tried ripping a CD the other day (Foreigner's "Double Vision"). With the Lite-On, all the songs ripped accurately save for Track 2. It ripped insecurely for some reason. I tried it on the Plextor and it ripped with no issues. It's a brand new CD and doesn't have a scratch on it. Needless to say, I was confused.

Just a few minutes ago, I tried ripping Queen's self-titled debut (the 2011 remastered version). The Lite-On didn't rip a single track securely. The Plextor, however, ripped the entire CD accurately. This CD is also brand new and has no scratches on it.

I have no idea what's going on here. Both of the drives are basically brand new (having been purchased within the last 2 months). I'm beginning to think that the Lite-On is somehow defective. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't know which drive (if either) to trust.

I just want to see what you guys think. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be going on here?
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: Strange Issue

Even unscratched discs can have manufacturing defects.

Comment

• Jigglybootch
      • May 2011

Originally posted by mrspoonsi
      Even unscratched discs can have manufacturing defects.
      That's true, but I would think that a defective CD would result in inaccurate rips regardless of what drive I use. In the case of the Queen CD, the Plextor rips everything accurately with a confidence of 6. But with the Lite-On all of the rips are insecure. As far as the Foreigner CD goes, I listened to the supposedly inaccurate track very carefully and couldn't hear anything that would seem to indicate a problem. If there is a defect, I sure can't hear it. The "accurate" rip of the same song using the Plextor sounds identical to me. Needless to say I'm very perplexed.

Comment

• dbfan
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jan 2011

Errors might only be very small, which typically the drive might interpolate

Comment

• Jigglybootch
          • May 2011

Originally posted by mrspoonsi
          Errors might only be very small, which typically the drive might interpolate
          Maybe my interpretation of small is wrong, but according to the log, the first track of the Queen CD (Keep Yourself Alive) had almost 500 frame that needed to be re-ripped (I have the max set at 100, hence why it didn't try). That doesn't seem like a small error at all. I find it hard to believe that one drive would interpolate that while another wouldn't, given the amount of frames we're talking about.

Comment

• Jigglybootch
            • May 2011

I tried the Queen CD with an older Plextor drive I have (PX-716A). All tracks ripped accurately. I don't know. I honestly don't know. I have a Samsung drive that I'd like to try out as well, but I really don't feel like opening my PC up again right now. But for now things aren't looking too good for the Lite-On.

Comment

Working...

]]>