title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Drive Letters changing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D.M.1059
    • Apr 2011

Drive Letters changing

I love Dbpower amp and it has been awesome at ripping.

There is one issue that I cant seem to solve.

I have 6 drives attached and open 6 instances of dbpoweramp. I select the drive letters based on the physical placement of the drives. For instance the first instance of dbpower amp gets assigned to my top drive and the last gets assigned to my bottom drive.

This works well, however after a few rips the instances seem to change letters and it gets all confused.

Is there a way to lock the drives to a specific instance of dbpoweramp?

Perhaps I should be using batch ripper but I dont think that is appropriate. This is not a professional deal, and I HAVE to edit the tags all the time and often find coverart. I could never figure out how to actually do that in batch ripper, so it was just easier to open a new instance.

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Drive Letters changing

Batch Ripper was designed for this, CD Ripper was designed for manual ripping and cannot lock to a drive.

In Batch Ripper, get the latest beta version and enable the 'Manual Input & Review' option, this allows tag editing.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• D.M.1059
      • Apr 2011

Thanks for the response Spoon.

Batch ripper is not an option for me I think. First off it always crashes .

2nd I dont see an option to make it not generate a conductor tag. Perhaps I could use a rule but for the life of me I cant think of an if/then that would cover it.

And can one load cover art from a file like the regular program. I havent made it this far yet. See *blooper*1

So on the regular program is there a rhyme or reason as to why the selected drive letter changes. For instance why does drive K magically become drive G on occasion? It is kind of intermittent and It would be nice to have a handle on how it works.

Or is there a way in windows to name a drive like you can do for HDDs?

Word of advice. Dont buy the same drive model from the same manufacturer unless you really want to confuse things!

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

To clarify you have a drive K and Drive G, the same drive and in one instance of CD ripper it jumps from K to G (where another instance of CD ripper is ripping on drive G)?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• D.M.1059
          • Apr 2011

Hi Spoon,

Thanks for the help. I know these edge cases must be a pain.

Anyhow I have 6 disks with 3 internal and 3 usb ones on top of the tower.

The top drive is an Asus, next is a Plextor, then a Liteon.

In the tower, the top drive is a Liteon, and the bottom 2 are also Liteons. Only one of the 4 liteon drives show up as a liteon drive, with the other 3 displaying something like "ATAPI- IDHS115". 2 of the drives are identical and one is something like IHDP118.

In order to keep things straight I open 6 instances of dbpoweramp. The left most I select the asus, the 2nd left most gets the plextor, all the way to the right most instance which I assign to the bottom Liteon drive.

So when I start the order of the physical drives taken vertically corresponds to the dbpower amp instances from left to right. (I should add that I am describing how windows 7 handles multiple windows. Up to a point it displays them left to right in order you open them. )

After about 10 minutes or so the instances are all messed up and for instance the Plextor drive is now the 4th instance from the left instead of the 2nd. So the physical and virtual worlds are now at odds. This is problematic when one is doing a 9 disk box set and the metadata is always off on the disk numbers. I usually load in the first 6 disks in order of drive top to bottom so I can keep it all straight.

I dont quite remember but perhaps windows assigns them different drive numbers when I boot up, but regardless I start with everything synced and some where along the way things go south.

I can go back and use the dropdown to correct things for a while but it would be nice to figure out what is happening and how to correct it so everything stays synced.

To restate lets say the plextor is drive f. The 2nd dbpower amp window is assigned to drive F. For some reason this gets messed up and that window changes to say drive g.

Thanks.

Comment

• D.M.1059
            • Apr 2011

I found a workaround. Kind of.

The problem still happens and I have SEEN it happen. I had the cursor sitting on the dbpoweramp icon which is pinned to the task bar. When you put your cursor there it shows the 6 open instances of dbpoweramp in mini windows above the task bar.

I saw the leftmost window jump all the way to the right when it finished a disk!

So now I just set the disk letters to be M-R to reflect the disks top to bottom. Now when it screws up I can easily set things back to normal. Still weird that it happens. On other programs when I have multiple instances the order of the open windows doesnt change.

I have a screen shot but I cant seem to post it here unless I have a url for where the pict is.

Comment

Working...

]]>