title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD ripper - am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsa307
    • Jan 2011

CD ripper - am I missing something?

A previous EAC user here, new to dBpoweramp. I configured the Ripper as suggested in the online setup guide, and was intial thrilled with the program. On my first few discs, I was getting accurate rips and using the multi-encoder to generate separate FLAC, ALAC, and MP3 files. Once I tried a couple of more "scuffed up" discs, however, I started having more inconsistent results. With a particular problem track on one somewhat scuffed CD (but not terribly scratched), dB could not generate an accurate rip and eventually timed out after 10 minutes. I tried the same track on EAC, it was able to generate an accurate rip that matched the database with no trouble at all. Conversely, on another problem track from a different disc, EAC was unable to match the database after even mutliple tries, but dB was able to generate an accurate rip match after only a short amount of time re-ripping.

Clearly for straight-forward rips, dB has lived up to expectations. I'm wondering though, for CD's that don't rip easily on the 1st pass, should I be having this much difficulty and/or variability between programs to generate an accurate rip that matches the database? Is it normal to have to flip back and forth between programs to get a completely clean rip on discs that are not 100% pristine? Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD ripper - am I missing something?

Try disabling c2 pointers if you have then enabled.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jsa307
      • Jan 2011

I will try that later when I get home from work. It is definitely a CD drive that supports C2 pointers, though ...

Comment

• jsa307
        • Jan 2011

Interesting. At least on the initial problem track, removing the C2 pointers seems to have permitted an accurate rip.

But on a separate track on the same CD, which I was previously able to rip accurately (with the C2 pointers on), I'm no longer getting an accurate rip. If I put the pointers back on again, once again I can get an accurate rip for this track. What gives?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

>. What gives?

Your drive should give out the same data if c2 is checked or unchecked, so your drive is at fault.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jsa307
            • Jan 2011

Spoon- do you think that this info is reason enough to buy a new CD drive (not that they're particularly expensive nowadays)? I haven't had any problems prior to this with ripping or burning.
            Also, as long as I'm ultimately generating accurate rips that match the database, you don't see any problem using the drive in the meantime?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

I myself would not be happy with a drive which gave bad results when c2 pointers are enabled.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>