title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Bad file names, no metadata

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SBurke
    • Mar 2010

Bad file names, no metadata

I've experienced this phenomenon a few times: some tracks of an album will be created appropriately, with the correct name, metadata in file properties, etc., but others will not, ending up with file names like "04MART~1.FLA," instead of "04 Martha Argerich - Sonate . . ." These seemingly corrupted files will play in MediaMonkey, and MediaMonkey is also able to see the metadata (album, artist, etc.), but there is no information when I right-click>properties in Windows Explorer. Explorer also reports them as a "FLA Audio File" and not "FLAC Audio File." "FLA"? Huh? Any idea what causes this? I'd like to avoid it, as I enjoy being able to see the metadata and to confirm the rip was accurate, etc.

EDIT: You know, I realized the title is inaccurate. There is metadata in the track which MediaMonkey recognizes and displays. But there are no visible properties to the file in Windows Explorer.
    Last edited by SBurke; February 05, 2011, 11:47 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Bad file names, no metadata

It is a file system error, in Windows when a long filename is saved (longer than 8 characters) it is saved as:

04MART~1.FLA

and

04 Martha Argerich - Sonate.FLAC

but you should never see the first one. It suggests a corruption of your HDD.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• SBurke
      • Mar 2010

Re: Bad file names, no metadata

Thank you for the reply.

It is definitely not an issue with the program, as I have now found the original files created by the program and they are fine. An issue must have occurred when I transferred the files from one drive to another; in any event, it's something I have to track down on my own. Thanks again for the support.

Comment

Working...

]]>