title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Is this HTOA?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homiefud
    • Dec 2010

Is this HTOA?

I need some help. I've used dbPoweramp r13 to rip my entire music collection of 1200+ discs. There is one disc that I'm having a serious issue with though.

When the disc is inserted, I get the image below.

I'm now using r14. If I try to rip the hidden track by itself, I get C++ Runtime Error stating:

Program C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\CDGrab.exe
    abnormal program termination

... and crashes dBpoweramp.

Is this an HTOA disc? Is there some setting in dB that I'm missing? Some process that I should be doing? I'm using a Samsung SH-S203b to do the ripping and in theory, it's supposed to read HTOA.
  • twit
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2010

I think you have a larger issue to deal with first. The track 1 data is nonsensical as well as the 0th track.

Can you play the disc on your computer or home stereo? Do you have the liner notes? If so, I think you need to get Ripper to report the same number of tracks and be pretty close on the track lengths before you worry about any hidden tracks.

Given that CDs are at most 78 minutes or so (maybe 84 minutes tops), your drive either can't read this correctly and you need to address that in some way first, or this is not a CD. The estimated file size for track 1 implies this could be a DVD, and I don't think Ripper can do anything with DVDs or anything not an audio CD.
    Perhaps not much help, but good luck with it.
    Last edited by twit; December 27, 2010, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• homiefud
      • Dec 2010

Re: Is this HTOA?

I wouldn't say it's a LARGER issue. It's THE issue.

Like I mentioned, I ripped 1200+ CDs with this drive. This is the only one to give me this error.

I also know that it is in fact a CD. It played perfectly fine in three different non-computer CD players. It will not play on a computer. At least not any I own. I had ripped this disc previously back in 2000 when mp3 players were hitting the scene hard. It was only ripped into a 128k file, but the drive at the time could obviously read it. Which is why I think it might be the drives inability to read HTOA. But then again, the SH-S203b is supposed to be able to do just that.

Also, if you look at the Track 0 info, if gives a time of 62:08:15. I'm not sure what the :15 is, but the disc is 62 minutes long.

It's definitely some kind of copy protection I'm dealing with.

I think you need to get Ripper to report the same number of tracks and be pretty close on the track lengths...
      What is this Ripper you speak of?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

CD RIpper >> Options >> Select 'Defective by Design'
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• homiefud
          • Dec 2010

CD RIpper >> Options >> Select 'Defective by Design'
          OK! Well that partially worked. The track numbers and times are all being read correctly now. It's even finding the META data.

However, when CD Ripper tries to rip the disc, there is only silence. The first track it 2:02. Ripper will create a FLAC file that is 55k and 2:02 of silence. And it takes only 10 seconds to rip the entire disc. It's not actually reading the data. In fact, I was amazed to see it ripping at 185x speeds!

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Your CD drive cannot read these discs, the drive has to be able to overread to read the 'good' data from the CD.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• homiefud
              • Dec 2010

Alright then. Thanks for the help. I guess I'm off to find a new drive then. Any suggestions on what would be a good one for that?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

www.daefeatures.co.uk look for one which can overread, but even then there are no 100% guarantees.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>