title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Qucik question about Replay Gain....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matt00
    • Dec 2010

Qucik question about Replay Gain....

I am using "Replaygain" for all my rips. Is there anything I have to do besides check the box in DSP. Do I need to change the value? Any secret I should now about?

Thanks,:smile2:
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Qucik question about Replay Gain....

Nothing to change.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• twit
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2010

...but there are several secrets for doing this in the dBpoweramp environment:

- Don't run Album Replaygain DSP while ripping. Any time a single track on an album doesn't rip to your satisfaction and you re-rip a subset of album tracks, the Album Replaygain value will not calculate the same Album Replaygain for all tracks for an album. Run Album Replaygain separately after all tracks on an album are ripped to your satisfaction, and ensure that you select all tracks on an album when you want an Album Replaygain value. The Replaygain DSP is very easy to run after ripping, but....

- Be very careful, and verify in a tool like Mp3tag, when calculating Album Replaygains on more than 100 or so tracks in a single run. Album replaygain tags are written to files as the last step of such a run, and for many the rapid writing of tags to many files in a short period of time triggers malware protections, disrupting the writing of these tags. Dbpoweramp will typically not generate an error message for a tag it fails to write, so you need to manually verify that you got what you want. Alternatively, you can disable all protection before running Album Replaygain tags for many files, but I will never recommend to anyone to disable security when there is an alternative.

- "Replaygain (Apply)" will alter the actual music data in your song file, while "Replaygain" will just calculate tag values. Writing tags means you need a player that can recognize the tags to impact your playback, and you can switch between no Replaygain, Album, or Track Replaygain as you like and if you have both tags. Altering your actual music data means this effect cannot be turned on and off or switch between album or track gain as you like (you must decide which one you want and can only select one when applied), and you'd need to re-rip to go back to unaltered music data (pretty sure, but not absolutely positive about this).

- You can use the $rg2sc function in Mp3tag to convert an Album or Track Replaygain tag into an iTunes and iPod compatible tag (only one or the other, not both, based on Apple's limitations) to replace Apples's Sound Check function. Many think Replaygain is superior to Sound Check. I do.

Have fun!
      Last edited by twit; December 23, 2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Re: Qucik question about Replay Gain....

Originally posted by twit
        ...but there are several secrets for doing this in the dBpoweramp environment:

- Don't run Album Replaygain DSP while ripping. Any time a single track on an album doesn't rip to your satisfaction and you re-rip a subset of album tracks, the Album Replaygain value will not calculate the same Album Replaygain for all tracks for an album. Run Album Replaygain separately after all tracks on an album are ripped to your satisfaction, and ensure that you select all tracks on an album when you want an Album Replaygain value. The Replaygain DSP is very easy to run after ripping, but....
        good point. I allow the adding of both track and album values when ripping (as most rips work fine the first time). But if I have to rerip a track or two, I then rerun the replaygain DSP to redo the album gain values.

Comment

Working...

]]>