title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using internal DVD drive externally

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dabob
    • Dec 2010

Using internal DVD drive externally

Hi,

I will be ripping my CD collection to my PC which doesnt have a DVD drive or a bay for such a drive (only 3.5" bays).

I would like to use an internal DVD drive as these are the only recomended ones I can find and would like to know the best way to connect it.

My PC has ESATA and USB connections. It seems I will need to buy an external enclosure, but is it possible to connect it via the ESATA or doesnt it realy matter if I connect via USB ?

I am running windows home server if that helps.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Using internal DVD drive externally

Some drives might not support C2 pointers over usb (even if the drive supports c2 pointers), that is the only difference (esata would not have this problem).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dabob
      • Dec 2010

Thanks Spoon.

OK, so will need a 5.25" SATA enclosure and internal drive.

I am having difficulty finding any of the 'good' drives as listed in the DAE drives database which Spoon recomended in a previous thread.

I have spent a lot of time searching for drives listed which a) support c2pointers and b) which are still available to buy in the UK. I am at the point of buying the first drive I can find which supports C2 pointers, but I dont know how to tell if a drive supports it. Manufacturers dont seem to list this in their specs.

I have found a Samsung SH-S223c.The database lists an SH-S223Q. Does anyone know the difference between these two drives and does the 223C have C2 error support. I suspect from reading other forums that it is a different firmware or small internal change.

Can anyone give me a clue ?

Thanks, I would be pulling my hair out if I had any.

Comment

• drjenkins
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by dabob
        OK, so will need a 5.25" SATA enclosure and internal drive.
        Here's what I use:

It connects via USB or eSATA and you just pop in your internal SATA drive like a docking station.

-drjenkins

Comment

Working...

]]>