title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD with holes says Secure?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sldvd
    • Aug 2010

CD with holes says Secure?

I have a CD where if I hold it up to the light, I can see 3 tiny holes in the aluminum layer where the light shines thru. So I ripped the CD, and was surprised to see that all of the tracks said "Secure" with the green check mark next to it. I read that the green check mark (as opposed to the green "i") means that no re-reads needed to be done. Does that sound right - that even a disc with holes in it would have no errors? I do have Ultra Secure Ripping enabled.

All of the tracks on the CD report "X AR(3)", so I cannot tell if the tracks are Accurate or not - since it appears I have a different pressing.
  • mkoerner
    • May 2009

Re: CD with holes says Secure?

If you look at CDs you'll find out that most of them do have such tiny holes. As the data on the CD ist stored redundantly (and to a degree distributed over the surface), the defective blocks are simply calculated from the redundant data (this is the C1 Error correction, which is "bit-transparent" as opposed to the C2 one)!

That's the reason why even scratched CDs can be read "secure"

Mike

Comment

• sldvd
      • Aug 2010

Hmm, I heard that data on music CDs is not stored redundantly, so that they can fit as much music as possible on the CD. Apparently that's why you need to use a secure ripper instead of just doing a standard copy - there isn't as much error correction on a music CD as opposed to a data CD or DVD, so if there are errors, secure ripping will be able to deal with them better.

If a CD has holes and still can be read without errors, it makes me wonder how damaged a CD would have to be before data needs to be re-read? I wonder if burst mode would work most of the time, and secure ripping is only necessary in rare cases?

Comment

• biggles
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2010

Burst mode probably would work most of the time, but if you select it you'll never know when it wasn't sufficient. If you use a "typical" profile using secure ripping, you'll probably find that most discs rip successfully and just as fast as burst mode, but configure this typical profile to bomb out on the first unrecoverable error or need to re-rip more than 20 frames or so, so that you can use a different profile (perhaps using ultra secure settings) for the few discs that have problems. Problem discs can take quite a while to rip depending on the abort and ultra secure settings.

This combination of profiles should provide the best mix of speed and accuracy across your collection.

Comment

Working...

]]>