title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMP losing flac tags . . .

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonM
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2008

WMP losing flac tags . . .

. . . or something like that.

I've set up WMP as my computer-based player, referencing a large set of files. I typically rip to flac, and download flacs when I can. I've configured WMP to play flacs and to access flac tags, the latter using the WMP Tag Plus plug in. Worked like a charm, until about Oct 1.

Of a sudden, new content is not having the tags picked up by WMP. Work fine in my main play-back system, Squeezebox-based, but not in WMP. Older flac titles, however, still show the tags correctly.

New rips have NO tags being picked up, except, sort of, the album art. For instance, I've just ripped several CDs. If I look at the general music listing, and sort by date, all the tracks ripped today show up in an undifferentiated mass, but with ONE of the album covers being displayed for the entire list dated today. Properties shows no tags; MP3tag shows all the tags being present; Squeezebox Server shows them fine as well.

Any idea what is going on?

Ron
  • RonM
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2008

Re: WMP losing flac tags . . .

It's probably obvious, but I should mention that I am using dbpoweramp for the ripping; multiencoder, flac and mp3.

R.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

It sounds like a bug in the tag reader for WMP
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RonM
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Nov 2008

Yes, it does sound like a WMP bug, but you'd think the same bug would screw up the display of the older rips, but they still display properly. It's only new rips from about the beginning of October that have the problem. Should note that WMP supports neither flac nor flac tags natively, it's done through plugins, and I've not changed these.

I have realized just now that that is when I upgraded to dbp 14; is it possible something has changed in dbp that accounts for this? I ask because since then I've downloaded flac files and those are displaying correctly in WMP.

R.

Comment

• Wayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2002

For those older files that you created yourself which version of the flac codec did you use?

Can WMP read the tags from an old file after you reconvert it to flac (but to a different name/folder) using dMC r14?

Comment

• RonM
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Wayne
            For those older files that you created yourself which version of the flac codec did you use?
            I'm not sure, how do I tell? The rip was done by the version of dbp immediately prior to 14. When I look at the file properties the Flac reference is libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917.

Originally posted by Wayne
            Can WMP read the tags from an old file after you reconvert it to flac (but to a different name/folder) using dMC r14?
            I reconverted two albums recently ripped, but before the problems started (for interest, one was opera, the other was Neil Young's new CD Le Noise). Both display correctly in their originally ripped incarnation. Both display correctly in their newly "converted" versions, except that WMP isn't picking up the album art from the conversion (it did from the original rips).

So, the issue could be something to do with the dbp v 14 ripper.

R.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

The newer flac version might be causing the issue.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RonM
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
                The newer flac version might be causing the issue.
                Since I re-converted using the current version of dbp, wouldn't it be using the new flac version? And those are being picked up correctly by WMP.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Reconverting would yes, so perhaps the issue is embedded artwork at too high a resolution or something silly like that (but still a bug in the WMP tag reader)..
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RonM
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
                    Reconverting would yes, so perhaps the issue is embedded artwork at too high a resolution or something silly like that (but still a bug in the WMP tag reader)..
                    The artwork in the current rips is what is supplied by dbp during the rip process, same as for the old rips. The old ones are being properly tagged and read, but the new ones aren't. The only artwork issue is that the reconverted files aren't bringing the artwork with them; easily fixed using mp3tag, but not an issue since the original rips work fine.

The problem is that WMP, for whatever reason, is not picking up the album tag, or something, so if sorted by date of rip all the files for that date are lumped together, with artwork from one of them being displayed.

It's the same tag reader that can read the old rips but not the new ones.

Maybe it's time for a change. I suspect I'll be happier using Foobar for the rare occasions that I need a player for my computer.

R.

Comment

• Tim De Baets
                      • Oct 2010

Hi, I'm the author of WMP Tag Plus.

Is it possible that WMP Tag Plus somehow got disabled? To see if it's disabled, open the Tools - Plug-ins menu in WMP (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). The WMP Tag Plus item should be checked, if it isn't, click it to enable the plug-in again.

If that doesn't help, then please contact me by PM or e-mail, as WMP Tag Plus support is kinda off-topic here.

Comment

• RonM
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim De Baets
                        Hi, I'm the author of WMP Tag Plus.

Is it possible that WMP Tag Plus somehow got disabled? To see if it's disabled, open the Tools - Plug-ins menu in WMP (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). The WMP Tag Plus item should be checked, if it isn't, click it to enable the plug-in again.

If that doesn't help, then please contact me by PM or e-mail, as WMP Tag Plus support is kinda off-topic here.
                        Okay, will do. Although I'm not really convinced it's a WMP Tag Plus problem, given that it's working for the previously ripped products.

BTW, you're right, WMP Tag Plus had gotten disabled at some point, became unchecked, althought that was corrected without correcting the problem, so to speak.

I'll be in touch.

R.

Comment

• RonM
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Nov 2008

For the record, Tim helped resolve the issue -- definitely not a dbp issue.

WMP Tag Plus had gotten turned off; it functions at the point that items get added to the library; since it was turned off, it didn't do its thing when the items were added during the rip.

Solution: delete from library only, then add back to the library. Voila!

Thanks to Tim!

R.

Comment

Working...

]]>