title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mismatched CRC red, re-prip, same CRC green

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ptr727
    • Oct 2010

Mismatched CRC red, re-prip, same CRC green

I noticed a problem with R14 and a particular CD, ripping the last track where the CRC value is painted in red, but AR is ok.

If I right click on the track, the context menu lets me re-rip track with mismatched CRC.

I re-rip the track, the CRC is exactly the same value, but is now painted in green, and the context menu is not active.

If I rip the same CD on a different drive, I get the same behavior (red on first rip green on second rip but value is unchanged), but the actual CRC value is different.

If I change from Secure with C2 to Burst rip, I get the same results.

The CD is a key CD, The Terminal by John Williams.
    I have only seen it happen on this one disc, but I have only ripped three discs since buying the app.
    The OS is Win7 x64.

Why does the CRC text go from red to green even if the CRC value was unchanged?
    Which one of the drives are correct, or are both wrong?

Ripping with drive 'E: [PLEXTOR - BD-R PX-B940SA]', Drive offset: 667, Overread Lead-in/out: No
    AccurateRip: Active, Using C2: Yes, Cache: 1024 KB, FUA Cache Invalidate: No
    Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max, Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
    Ultra:: Vary Drive Speed: No, Min Passes: 1, Max Passes: 2, Finish After Clean Passes: 1
    Bad Sector Re-rip:: Drive Speed: Max, Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: FLAC -compression-level-5 -verify
    DSP Effects / Actions: -dspeffect1="ReplayGain=-albummode={qt}0{qt}"

Track 14: Ripped LBA 248362 to 260908 (2:47) in 0:04. Filename: C:\Users\xxx\Music\John Williams\The Terminal\14 John Williams - A Happy Navorski Ending!.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 11) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: ED0D54E9 AccurateRip CRC: 0F77EF54 [DiscID: 014-00207393-0150d36a-c10d960e-14]

Ripping with drive 'F: [PLEXTOR - BDDVDR PX-B310U ]', Drive offset: 6, Overread Lead-in/out: No
    Ultra:: Vary Drive Speed: No, Min Passes: 1, Max Passes: 2, Finish After Clean Passes: 1

Track 14: Ripped LBA 248362 to 260908 (2:47) in 0:15. Filename: C:\Users\xxx\Music\John Williams\The Terminal\14 John Williams - A Happy Navorski Ending!.flac
    CRC32: 5647234B AccurateRip CRC: 0F77EF54 [DiscID: 014-00207393-0150d36a-c10d960e-14]

Ripping with drive 'F: [PLEXTOR - BDDVDR PX-B310U ]', Drive offset: 6, Overread Lead-in/out: No

Track 14: Ripped LBA 248362 to 260908 (2:47) in 0:15. Filename: C:\Users\xxx\Music\John Williams\The Terminal\14 John Williams - A Happy Navorski Ending!.flac
    CRC32: 5647234B AccurateRip CRC: 0F77EF54 [DiscID: 014-00207393-0150d36a-c10d960e-14]

Track 14: Ripped LBA 248362 to 260908 (2:47) in 0:14. Filename: C:\Users\xxx\Music\John Williams\The Terminal\14 John Williams - A Happy Navorski Ending!.flac
  • eaglescout1998
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2009

Re: Mismatched CRC red, re-prip, same CRC green

Spoon may do a better job of explaining this, but I'll give it a shot.

The first time you rip a track, the CRC is black.

When re-ripping the track, there are two possibilities.

1.) If the CRC of the 2nd rip matches that of the 1st, the CRC is green.
    2.) If the CRC of the 2nd rip DOES NOT match that of the 1st, the CRC is red.

If AccurateRip says the rip is okay, then you don't have to worry about this. To compensate for different offsets, AR ignores the first 15 (I think) sectors of the first track and the last 15 sectors of the last track.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

It is to do with overreading, the non-AccurateRip CRC will change between drives unless both drives can overread.

As far as the CRC changing for the same drive, on the last track of a disc AR will calculate to the end of the disc - 5 sectors, it has to do this as different drives vary on their offsets, so the data in the last 5 sectors can changes yet give the same AR crc result.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ptr727
        • Oct 2010

Ok, thank you for the explanation.

So if AR says it is good, I can ignore the CRC changes and colors between rips.

What about tracks with no AR, how do I know if the rip is good if the CRC changes between rips?

Can I configure R14 to rip tracks without AR multiple times to make sure the CRC stays the same?
        Or does it not matter if the drive supports C2?

P.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

>So if AR says it is good, I can ignore the CRC changes and colors between rips.

Yes

>What about tracks with no AR, how do I know if the rip is good if the CRC changes between rips?

A changing CRC means one of the rips had errors, but you cannot be sure which one it was, try ripping a 3rd time.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ptr727
            • Oct 2010

I will change the secure options to always do 2 reads and see what happens.

I just ripped a second CD where the local results did not match AR.
            In both cases the CD was manufactured in South Africa.
            In both cases it was track 2.
            In both cases I could re-rip any number of times and accurate would be ok and CRCs would be consistent.
            And in both cases AR said there is only one other match.

Does this mean the 1 known AR value is incorrect?

P.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

No, it could be a different pressing which is outside of the detection range (5 sectors).
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ptr727
                • Oct 2010

Ok, thank you.

Comment

Working...

]]>