title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Experiencing slow and inaccurate rips since upgrading to R14

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sg1973
    • Sep 2010

Experiencing slow and inaccurate rips since upgrading to R14

Hello

I've just upgraded from Reference 13 to 14. I completely uninstalled 13 and used the "reset" utility to wipe settings (not necessary i know). Now with R14 the ripping process is not functioning correctly. The drive is running at minimum speeds, with every track going to the second "Ultra-Secure" run and then proceeding to re-rip around 80 frames, before returning the red x of death error message? I had none of these problems and very few ultra-secure runs on the previous version. I tested them on my EAC set-up and they ripped fine with the same drive? I've also compared the FLAC settings i've set up on R14 to my old R13 version from screen shots i captured on my original set-up and these match too?

I'm using Windows 7 64 operating system

I'd be most grateful if anybody could offer any advice on why this might be happening?

Anticipatory thanks,

sg
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Experiencing slow and inaccurate rips since upgrading to R14

You have c2 pointers enabled?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sg1973
      • Sep 2010

Yes, c2 pointers are enabled.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Try disabling them. Also make sure that the option to '8KB over USB/firewire' is unchecked.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sg1973
          • Sep 2010

Hi Spoon

Many thanks for the advice : )

Have disabled c2 pointers and this does seem to have largely solved the problem. One of the discs i ripped in testing however, despite being present in AR still went to the ultra-secure phase for each track before passing a secure rip and the suggestion of a different pressing (i.e. the red AR 'x'? I know the Go-Betweens cd in question has had many different pressings and wonder if with AR2, despite the cross checks it's still possible to have a version that's not in there? (if that makes sense?). Furthermore, I did have c2 enabled on R13 with the same drive and without any problems; so am wondering what effect this may have on the accuracy of my rips in R14 without it enabled?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

AR2 can cross check is the disc is within 5 sectors offset (about 10KB) there are pressings which offsets much larger and are out of scope.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DIDI
              • Sep 2010

I have the same experience, I used the trial version and worked perfect and thereafter I bought R14 because feel satisfy with the performance, and now I can't rip any CD's; Rip Status shows 0% also on encoding to Flag. Any help?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

You would have to enable the debug log it the CD Ripper is stalling.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chinkapin
                  • Jun 2008

Or do what I did and go back to 13.5 PowerPack until the bugs are worked out. I have got to stop buying x.0 releases...

Comment

• nottlv
                    • Aug 2010

I've also been having the same issue and disabling the C2 pointers also resolved it, though I'm also concerned about the ramifications of not having those enabled when doing secure rips for discs that aren't in AR. What's weird is that I didn't have the same issue in the R14 betas, but have it in the final release version.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

What model CD drive do you have? (which OS and how is the CD drive connected to the system)?
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nottlv
                        • Aug 2010

Spoon,

I have a Sony Vaio Z laptop with a Matshita IDE DVD-RAM drive (model UJ892AS); OS is Windows 7 Pro x64. After updating to the final release and having issues, I re-ran the C2 pointer detection for the drive and it worked fine, just as before. Here's the "Technical Information" dump from dbpoweramp:

Manufacturer: MATSHITA
                        CD Drive: DVD-RAM UJ892AS
                        Firmware: 1.21
                        Serial: 912140KMEHG95090100
                        Maximum Speed: 4234 KB/sec (x24)
                        Current Speed: 4234 KB/sec (x24)
                        Spin-down After: 32 seconds
                        Buffer Size: 1 MB
                        Accurate Stream: Yes
                        C2 Error Pointers: Yes
                        Reads ISRC: Yes
                        Reads UPC: Yes

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

And please tell me the exact issues you had with c2 enabled.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nottlv
                            • Aug 2010

Spoon,

The issue was similar to the original poster, if not worse. In Secure mode, with C2 pointers enabled, it would rip the first track, and then it would start to re-rip thousands of frames (which I'm assuming was essentially the entire track). After about 2 hours, it would only be about 5% done re-ripping the frames on the first track. I tested this on about 10 CDs--all of them new and just removed from their packaging--before coming to the forums to see if anyone else was having the same issue. After turning C2 pointers off, everything has been ripping successfully and matching in AR just fine.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

It seems a definite issue with the Panasonic / MATSHITA UJ892AS drive, we have a UJ-875S and will test this if has the same issue, if it does not we will acquire a UJ892AS drive to test against.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>