title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Replay Gain Tagging in FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • koffeetalk
    • May 2009

Replay Gain Tagging in FLAC

Hi. I've searched through this forum and others and finally have some understanding of volume normalization using Replay Gain and/or iTunes (iTunNORM).

I'm ripping in FLAC for playback on my home systems (Sonos and Linn DS). I'm then converting to mp3 for use in iTunes (for portable devices).

I have added REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN to my existing FLAC library using dmc, and I've set up the dBpoweramp replaygain DSP effect to add that tag during future rips. I want to use album-gain exclusively because I have a lot of classical music and want to preserve album dynamics.

I've just realized that my Sonos system uses only track-gain, not album gain. See https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/s...hp?p_faqid=330

QUESTION: Is there a way to set up dBpoweramp to write the album-gain value to the REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN tag?

I realize I could do this after the rip using an action in Mp3tag, but I would like to set this up as a default for all new CD ripping.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Replay Gain Tagging in FLAC

You could try creating Album gain in all your files, then try the ID Tag Update DSP and map REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN to REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• koffeetalk
      • May 2009

Thanks Spoon.

I tried adding the ID Tag Update DSP to my initial rip in CD Ripper (as a second DSP action after the Replay Gain DSP), but that didn't work.

I guess it has to be done as a separate step after the initial rip?

I tried applying the ID Tag Update DSP using dMC and it worked just fine. I was just hoping to accomplish this in one step when ripping.

Is there any way to set up a batch job to perform this DSP action periodically to new files that have no value in REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You cannot do it in one step as ReplayGain is written after the tracks are all written (and after the DSP effects).

Update ID Tag is not a DSP effect, instead it is a utility codec from Codec Central.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by koffeetalk
          Thanks Spoon.

I tried adding the ID Tag Update DSP to my initial rip in CD Ripper (as a second DSP action after the Replay Gain DSP), but that didn't work.

I guess it has to be done as a separate step after the initial rip?

I tried applying the ID Tag Update DSP using dMC and it worked just fine. I was just hoping to accomplish this in one step when ripping.

Is there any way to set up a batch job to perform this DSP action periodically to new files that have no value in REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN?

Thanks for any help.
          maybe I misunderstand your question, but when ripping, dbpa will add BOTH album and track values. Why not just do this when ripping and you'll have both. That's what I do with all my FLAC files.

Comment

• koffeetalk
            • May 2009

Thanks guys. Makes sense now.

garym -- I'm trying to use album-gain with a Sonos system. Sonos only reads REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN, so I want to end up with the album-gain value in that tag.

It's easy enough to run through my library with dMC or mp3tag to map the album-gain over to the track-gain tag, but I was hoping I would be able to get there on the initial CD rip going forward.

Comment

Working...

]]>