title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping Speed Slow with C2 Pointers on

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bollyboo
    • Jun 2010

Ripping Speed Slow with C2 Pointers on

I'm a bit stuck, this is all completely new to me, I've spent 2 full days just getting the settings set up. (Not even sure I got it right, but I think I did or pretty close.)

I'm ripping cds to flac. Ripping is taking 40 plus minutes when I have C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection turned on. I am pretty sure I have C2 pointers. But should it be slowing ripping down this much?

This is the guide I was using to set it up.
    C2 POINTERS: This guide mentioned if I had C2 Pointers to use the Ultra Secure ability. - I checked the Ultra Secure box as I believed I had them. With this setting ripping cds only took a couple of minutes. (It never did any re-rips).

I then went over the guide again to make sure everything was correct. This time I did the C2 Pointers CD triangle test. The results said I had C2 Pointers and that it would turn them on. It then checked the box: C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection I did a little search and found this guide which seemed to verify this is correct.

But since I checked this box, ripping 1 cd takes 40+ minutes.
    Every single track on every cd get the "re-rip" no. frames (around 100 I think for most). And this is what seems to be slowing it down.

So can anyone tell me if it is important to have this option selected? I'd just like to speed things up.

thanks

Name HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L ATA Device

Last edited by bollyboo; June 19, 2010, 02:25 PM.
  • bollyboo
    • Jun 2010

Re: Ripping Speed Slow with C2 Pointers on

I'm just wondering...

If I turn off the option box for C2 Pointers with Error Detection, what should I set the Ultra Secure Passes to?

Now I originally had it set to 1 / 2 / 1 (for a drive that supports c2 pointers), as instructed:
    If your drive supports C2 pointers, set as Minimum Ultra Passes: 1 Maximum Ultra Passes: 2 End After Clean Passes: 1

If your drive does not support C2 pointers, set as Minimum Ultra Passes: 2 Maximum Ultra Passes: 4 End After Clean Passes: 2
    This page does not instruct me (if I have C2 pointers) to check the box for: C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection The cd triangle test which said I had c2 pointers (after a split second test) ticked that box. When I did a search to check this, I also came across this :
    *blooper* Drive Supports c2 error pointers well enable Ultra Secure with Minimum 1, Maximum 6 and End after 1.
    So I changed the passes to 1 / 6 / 1...

I'm not sure if that requires the box (C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection ) is checked as well... Or what number or passes I should use.

So how many passes should I set it to with or without the box (C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection ) checked?

I thought I might try run it without the c2 pointers error detection, and keep it for the cds which have no errors and are all Accurate Rips. If there are errors, then I will run it with the c2 pointers error detection on to see if it helps.
    Last edited by bollyboo; June 19, 2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• trhunnicutt
      • Aug 2009

Turn off (de-select) Ultra Secure.

That's your issue, and why it's taking 40 miniutes.

I have that same drive, and it take 3-6 min in Secure, Accurate-Rip.

You also want to detect your drive read cache... which is the line two lines above enable c2.

Comment

• bollyboo
        • Jun 2010

Hi trhunnicutt, thanks for the reply

So if I turn off Ultra Secure do I also turn off C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection? This drive supports C2 errors right? So it should be one somewhere in the settings?

Actually, looking over the instructions I followed to turn on Ultra Secure in the first place, I think I might have misread them (read them so many times too and never picked up on it!)

The settings for Ultra Secure depend on your CD drives ability to report C2 error pointers (C2 pointers tell CD Ripper when a section of audio has errors).

If C2 pointers are supported use this ability
        I read the first line in the second paragraph as a follow on from the first paragraph. ie Ultra Secure depends if your cd drive supports c2 pointers - if c2 pointers are supported use this ability (here I thought it meant use the Ultra Secure ability it was just talking about.)...

But now I see I've most likely misunderstood...

Also, I just want to double check the cache. Because, I followed links from the DAE DRIVES DATABASE , and read on their forum that although this drive (HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L) does cache, it caches very little, and under the minimum required before you need to flush the cache.

Here is some more info I found about how much the drive needs to cache before turning it on:

Tip *blooper*2: Tip *blooper*1 is all you need to know, but if you're still paranoid that your drive caches audio, feel free to try Feurio's audio caching test (Ctrl+Alt+P\Test device\Cache test) or spath's cache explorer. If either determine that your drive doesn't cache or caches less than 64 KB of data, then cache flushing isn't necessary (ignore the reported buffer size when using cache explorer). The reason for the 64 KB barrier is that EAC will never request less than this amount while ripping
        I did the cache explorer test. I don't remember what the result was, but it was less than 64KB. It's all very confusing to me, I probably got it all wrong, I just wanted to double check. What do you think?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

As long as AccurateRip verifies the result you do not need c2 or ultra passes.

On some drive / systems c2 does not work correctly, ripping with c2 on should be the same speed as it off.

Even if the cache value is 64KB it should be entered into dbpoweramp.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bollyboo
            • Jun 2010

Hi Spoon, thanks for confirming the cache. I will check the cache then, maybe that will speed it up.

So if I run c2 pointers just on the tracks that came back inaccurate, that will try fix them?

Slowly getting it.

One last thing if you don't mind.. On the DAE DRIVES DATABASE it says that my drive has leadin but it's highlighted orange (which means 'bad'). So as it's 'bad' should I trick "Read into Lead-in or Lead out" or not?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

You could do yes.

Do not tick Lead In/Out
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BugsBunny
                • Aug 2008

"Read into Lead-in or Lead out" should only be checked if the drive overread is lead in + lead out or the dive has got a negative read offset + lead in or a positive read offset + lead out. In these cases the entry would be marked green.
                So in the case of the GGW-H20L the option Lead In/Out must be unchecked.

If the harddisk controller is set tho AHCI (instead of ide) dBpoweramp has got a problem with the c2 feature of the GGW-H20L and GGC-H20L.
                When using ide mode with these drives the c2 feature works flawlessly.

In AHCI mode the problem must be somewhere within dBpoweramp since exact audio copy does work very well with the GGW-H20L and GGC-H20L in AHCI mode using the c2 feature. (I've tested damaged CDs and CDs free of c2 errors). The problem appears only under dBpoweramp + AHCI while under eac it works as it should.
                In AHCI mode dBpoweramp reports c2 errors with these drives even if there are no c2 errors on the given disk.

Comment

• bollyboo
                  • Jun 2010

Thanks a lot guys.

But, what if I have already ripped cds with Lead In/Out CHECKED!

I've done quite a few now with it checked? Do I need to redo them all now with it unchecked?

Most of them are coming back as AccurateRips. EXCEPT: Not always, but often the last track doesn't match with AccurateRip. Could this be to do with the Lead in / Lead out being checked?

Hi BugsBunny, thanks very much for the explanations. :smile2:

If the harddisk controller is set tho AHCI (instead of ide)
                  I'm not sure if it's set to AHCI as I've never heard of it! I'll have a look into in a sec and double check it.

Though the speed issues seem to have vanished. It's really fast again. I have "Read into Lead-in or Lead out" checked and it's not slow anymore.

I unchecked "ULTRASECURE". But I've tried using it a couple of times (on tracks that weren't ripping well) and it's still not slow.

All I have done is unchecked the cache box (thanks trhunnicutt for pointing it out). But even after I unchecked it, it took about 3 disks later before I noticed it was just zooming through the disks. So I don't know if it was to do with that or not. (I checked the task manager processes, and there was nothing hogging the system before.) So I don't know. :o
                  Last edited by bollyboo; June 20, 2010, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• bollyboo
                    • Jun 2010

I don't quite understand the "Read Into Lead in Lead Out". And what happens if you INCORRECTLY use it. I'm paranoid that the cds I ripped with it ON might be missing parts or something. (Even the tracks that came back as "ACCURATE" matches).

Now that I know I should have "Read Into Lead in Lead Out" turned "OFF" on my drive, should I re-rip the cds that were done while it was turned "ON".

OR is there nothing to worry about if the tracks were verified as "ACCURATE"?

Thanks, and sorry for so many questions.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Nothing to worry about.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bollyboo
                        • Jun 2010

whew

Wonderful news ! Thanks very much

Comment

• trhunnicutt
                          • Aug 2009

Personally, I leave C2 Error Pointers checked for all of my rips.

My settings are the same as your image, with the exception of de-selecting Ultra Secure.

Nice, quick, C2 driven/checked rips that can then be compared via the AccurateRip results.

Good luck.

Comment

• chillspace
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BugsBunny
                            "Read into Lead-in or Lead out" should only be checked if the drive overread is lead in + lead out or the dive has got a negative read offset + lead in or a positive read offset + lead out. In these cases the entry would be marked green.
                            So in the case of the GGW-H20L the option Lead In/Out must be unchecked.

If the harddisk controller is set tho AHCI (instead of ide) dBpoweramp has got a problem with the c2 feature of the GGW-H20L and GGC-H20L.
                            When using ide mode with these drives the c2 feature works flawlessly.

In AHCI mode the problem must be somewhere within dBpoweramp since exact audio copy does work very well with the GGW-H20L and GGC-H20L in AHCI mode using the c2 feature. (I've tested damaged CDs and CDs free of c2 errors). The problem appears only under dBpoweramp + AHCI while under eac it works as it should.
                            In AHCI mode dBpoweramp reports c2 errors with these drives even if there are no c2 errors on the given disk.
                            Just wondering if the C2 bug with the LG drives mentioned has been fixed with the latest release of CD Ripper? Right now I'm assuming that it isn't because I get lots of errors on even brand new discs and I do run my drives in AHCI mode. Any word?

Eric

Comment

• dbfan
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jan 2011

R14.1 has an improved c2 over USB option, which might help this drive

Comment

Working...

]]>