title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Copy Controlled and AR

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MnM
    • May 2009

Copy Controlled and AR

Hi,

Copy Controlled cds seem to behave strangely with respect to accuraterip matching, and displaying CRCs, in both my Phillips DVD-ROM and my TEAC DVD-RW (PC is a Win7 64 Dell tower with two optical drives). Both drives work with C2. I'm using v13.4.

Using The Essential Nina Simone as an example, the first track rips as accurate in secure mode. It seems that the copy protection only kicks in on subsequent tracks, and track 2 onwards all fail to rip securely. But, if I change to Burst or Defective by Design, then when the tracks rip, they all appear in CD Ripper as 'Not in AccurateRip'. This includes track 1, which was found in AR when ripping securely. This doesn't seem right to me, but perhaps I'm missing something? It would be great if I could verify this CD in AR.

Another, possibly related oddity is the population of the CRC column. It doesn't populate in Defective by Design mode, but if the track has already got a CRC from a previous rip, then a Defective by Design rip will confirm it by turning it green.

Happy to give this another go in v14 if anything may have changed in this area.

Cheers,
    Matt
  • MnM
    • May 2009

Re: Copy Controlled and AR

Does anyone know what's up here? Has anyone seen similar behaviour?

Fortunately there aren't that many copy controlled CDs, but it would be good to be able to get an AR match on them.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

These discs tend to rip differently on different drives, so AccurateRip is normally not possible.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MnM
        • May 2009

Thanks Spoon. I'm still wondering if there's an issue though.

On this copy controlled cd:

Using secure mode, track 1 rips successfully in 1 pass and gets an AR match.
        Using burst mode, or dbd mode, after the rip, the track is not found in AR.

I thought that in secure mode, the first pass was the same as burst mode. If that's the case, then it seems odd that in the burst or dbd mode rips, it not only doesn't find the AR match, but doesn't recognise the track.

I get the same secure vs burst/dbd behaviour using both my drives. If the first pass of secure mode is indeed the same as burst (and similar to dbd), then it's as if the AR lookup is failing incorrectly in burst and dbd mode, and perhaps there's a relatively straightforward fix?

If I had another copy controlled CD with a track that rips securely, I'd try that too, but have just the one example I'm afraid. Getting an AR stamp on these copy controlled cds would be awesome.

Matt
        Last edited by MnM; June 06, 2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• DaFork
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jan 2011

Bump

Follow-up question: I have a relatively small number of copy controlled CD's. I do understand that Accuraterip is normally not possible.

Can I trust the CD's to be ripped in secure mode? Or will burst/defective by design modes result in the same output?

Thanks,
          DaFork

Comment

Working...

]]>