title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ALAC ripped track glitch / noise same CRC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borndevil
    • Apr 2010

ALAC ripped track glitch / noise same CRC

Hi, this is my first post after months of reads on this forum.

I discovered an ALAC track with a "white noise" glitch at about 3:00 from the start. Its length is about 300ms, very very evident.

I read the rip log and I saw that it was extracted in Secure mode as it wasn't present on Accuraterip database. The CD is perfect, no dust , stratches, finger prints, new.

So I re-ripped and the new ALAC track was fine. No issues at all.
    I checked CRC in logs of both rips.

CRC of bad track and CRC of good track are THE SAME.

This should mean that the ripping process was well done in both cases.
    ... and that could be...? compression codec... ? file damaged... ? something happen after extraction.

In ALAC options I always checked "verify track", by the way what this means?
    Is that after compression bdPoweramp re-read the compressed track, decode it and check with first read CRC?

Now I'm not worried for a single track, but for my entire archive. I'm not sure now that some other track isnt't defective, and more in general, I doubt about quality of my files.

So I need a method for compare CRC of my ALAC already ripped tracks and CRC wrote on the log file, this could assure the integrity of my files and, I guess, bad tracks will be visible in a while!

I have all logs of my rips, I hope that a way of doing that shoud be possibile.
    Thank you very much, Marco.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ALAC ripped track glitch / noise same CRC

Perhaps HDD error?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• borndevil
      • Apr 2010

it can be...

is it right that when I select "verify" flag on ALAC codec bdpoweramp does:

rip, calculate CRC rip, compress, save, read saved file, decompress, recalculate CRC and compare to first rip CRC?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It does yes, but sometime the re-read could come from the file cache not the actual hdd.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• borndevil
          • Apr 2010

I understand

so what about checking again CRC of tracks against corrispective file log?
          I could easily find tracks that were somehow corrupted...

I mean program could let select some files of an album, and using an option let choosee a file log and do compare automatically. Is there a way to do it
          in some way?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

You could use CRC checking, when secure ripping there is a file CRC (not AccurateRip CRC) shown, you can later calculate this CRC with the utility codec [calculate crc] which is part of reference codec pack.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>