title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Need Help - Problems with Tagging

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pete_auto
    • Oct 2009

Need Help - Problems with Tagging

I am a newbee on this forum, as well as to dbpoweramp. Sorry for the long post, but I really need some help here.

I recently took on the initiative to re-tag all my CDs to flac. I just purchased one year subscription of dbpoweramp and it seems to be a great ripper. However, I have run into some tagging / re-tagging related issues for my compilation albums. I am hoping someone can help me with this. I modified my default folder rules (for ripping) so that the ripped flac files are stored into two types of folders: 1) “Single Artist” folder for all regular albums and 2) “Multiple Artists” folder for all compilations. When I rip, the files and folders are properly created, so far so good.

I read extensively on how DBPA stores the tag “Album Artist” (or AlbumArtist), which is what my problems are related to, I think:
    1. It seems, that for many “compilation” albums, the Album Artist tag (on top right of the rip screen) gets automatically populated with “Soundtrack”. My folder rules specify that all “compilations” be stored in a sub-folder with the same name as Album Artist. These flac files then are saved as follows:

C:\flac files\multiple artists\soundtrack\[album]\[artist]-[track]

For some albums, I change this tag from “soundtack” to say “Remix” for the remix albums, in this case.

For the albums that got stored in the “soundtrack” folder, when I pull these albums in my user interface (e.g. JR Media Center), the “Album Artist” shows up as “Various Artists”, or blank rather than “Soundtrack”. For the other albums that got stored under the sub-folder – say “remix” show the information correctly in my interface – i.e. “remix”.

For example: the album stored in the folder “soundtrack” shows up listed incorrectly as “Various Artists – Best of 1980s”. Album stored under the folder “remix” shows up listed correctly as “Remix – Best of 1980s”.
    What am I missing here? Does DBPA not like the folder name “soundtrack”?

By the way – I tried to change the default option under settings for Album Artist to “Leave as Album Artist” – same results.

2. I brought over some flac albums from my JRiver Media Center into DBPA folders. “Album Artist” in some of these files was tagged as “Movie” before, which I changed to “Soundtrack”. When I edit tags, the tag for “Album Artist” correctly shows “soundtrack”. However, my user interface shows “Movie Soundtrack”. Seems like it is taking both tags – old and new. How can I fix this?

3. When I try to change the tag values “Album Artist” using right-click, edit tags in windows explorer, the tags do change, but they still reflect as old tags in my music user interface.

I will really appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance.
  • sredmyer
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2008

Re: Need Help - Problems with Tagging

Originally posted by pete_auto

2. I brought over some flac albums from my JRiver Media Center into DBPA folders. “Album Artist” in some of these files was tagged as “Movie” before, which I changed to “Soundtrack”. When I edit tags, the tag for “Album Artist” correctly shows “soundtrack”. However, my user interface shows “Movie Soundtrack”. Seems like it is taking both tags – old and new. How can I fix this?

3. When I try to change the tag values “Album Artist” using right-click, edit tags in windows explorer, the tags do change, but they still reflect as old tags in my music user interface.

I will really appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance.
    I am not sure if this is your problem or not as I am not familiar with the specific media player you mentioned. Many media players (like WMP and iTunes for instance) store the metadata in their own database. This allows them to display track information for all tracks in the library without needing to read every file just for browsing purposes. A side effect of this is that if you edit the metadata (outside of the player program) after you player has already cataloged it the files metadata will not match what the player has in its database. Exactly what the player will do when displaying these mis-matches is player dependant. As I said I am not familiar with the J. River player but most have some way to re-synch the database with the actual files. This will likely fix your problem.

Hope this helps,

Comment

Working...

]]>