title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Hopefully not a stupid ripping accuracy question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tj_oz
    • Aug 2009

Hopefully not a stupid ripping accuracy question

I have been using cd ripper sucessfully on over 500 cds. However I recently purchased a set of 25 cds, 18 of which ripped perfectly either with accuraterip or securely. The other 8 had more or less the same problem, the first 10 - 15 tracks were either accuraterip matches or secure, the rest of the tracks reported hundreds (or even thousands) of frames to re rip. This was with exactly the same setup as every other cd I have ever ripped.

Thinking that it was a disk surface issue, I had all 8 resurfaced (which has always fixed ripping problems before) and that made no difference at all. I also tried 2 other cd drives with the same result.

Is there an issue with track location in some situations or am I missing something?
  • sredmyer
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2008

Re: Hopefully not a stupid ripping accuracy question

I don't know if this is your issue or not but often when I find CDs with a large number of errors (requiring hundreds or thousands of re-reads) there is label side/foil damage to the disc. To see if this might be your problem, hold the disc up to a light. If there are areas where the light shows through the disc those area represent places where the foil has been damaged.

Read errors casused by foil damage can not be recovered (although they will likely eventually report secure).

Comment

• tj_oz
      • Aug 2009

Thanks for your reply Steve, but I checked all the cds and the foil is ok on all of them

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Make sure your CD drive didn't revert to PIO: http://winhlp.com/node/10

I've had this problem when ripping lots of CDs.

Comment

• sredmyer
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2008

Another possiblity is that you have C2 pointers enabled and your drive does not support them (or supports them poorly). I have seen this cause problems cause many non-existant errors to be reported. While I would not expect this to manifest only on certain areas of the discs, it is still worth checking.

Comment

Working...

]]>