title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't select secure rip....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexandreg
    • Jun 2009

Can't select secure rip....

I just downloaded the trial version of dbpoweramp and I just can't select the secure ripping option....

I use vista x64 in a standard user account... Do I absolutely need to use my admin account every time I want to rip something?...

It would be a REALLY be drawback for me...

Thanks

Alex
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Can't select secure rip....

Only the trial version has to be in an Admin Account (because the configuration which activates the trial gets elevated to admin when run and only the admin account then has the trial activated).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• alexandreg
      • Jun 2009

but is it possible to fully communicate with the drive with scsi pass through mode with a limited user account?

There is no feature loss?

Thanks

Alex

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

XP I do not think so, Vista yes. XP64 (who knows?)
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• alexandreg
          • Jun 2009

How can I test it?

Alex

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

With a CD that is scratched, test for c2 errors.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• alexandreg
              • Jun 2009

ah yeah.... this is that simple...

Thanks a lot

Alex

Comment

• alexandreg
                • Jun 2009

it might be a weird question but I try to understand exactly what is scsi pass through and how it works and I can't find anything....

And I also can't understand why it works in vista with a standard user if it needs admin privileges with XP...

If someone can explain it or give me some links... It would be great

Thanks

Alex

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Microsoft changed their code, because it was silly that reading from the CD drive would require admin rights.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• alexandreg
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
                    Microsoft changed their code, because it was silly that reading from the CD drive would require admin rights.
                    yeah, it is :D

I guess I just don't really understand how multi-users systems, privileges and all those things work...

I don't really understand how it could need admin rights....

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by alexandreg
                      yeah, it is :D

I guess I just don't really understand how multi-users systems, privileges and all those things work...

I don't really understand how it could need admin rights....
                      Ok, let me take a crack at it:

The most powerful microsoft API for talking to storage devices is call SCSI Passthrough (e.g. SPTI = SCSI Passthrough Interface). It's basically a way to bypass a lot of abstraction layers and talk directly to a storage device.

One important aside here is that issuing a read command to a device via SPTI requires the ability to "write" a command packet to the logical device in windows. So the first thought of "just make it need read only access" doesn't apply here.

The code in XP treated all storage devices the same (hard disks, optical drives, flash drives, etc.). While you wouldn't really care if unproven (from your perspective) code was reading from a cd, you *would* care if unproven code was writing directly to the disk your boot volume or other important data was on. Or especially if malicious code sent along a "secure format" command request to the device holding theboot volume of a running system. That would be bad, right?

From what spoon just said, it appears microsoft has seen that their barrier for low-level access to devices (admin access only), mixed with vista's new security warnings on non-admin accounts, ends up making users insanely frustrated. So, special code is now in place to treat low level access to optical drives differently than low level access to other drives.

That makes sense, assuming I'm understanding spoon's reference correctly.

-brendan

Comment

• alexandreg
                        • Jun 2009

This is really nice of you to take the time to explain this

Thanks

Alex

Comment

Working...

]]>