title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Gracenote and non detected CDs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hmchapman
    • Apr 2009

Gracenote and non detected CDs

Hi,

I am a brand new user to dbpoweramp and got it because it was recommended by a number of Sonos users. I am using it to make MP3 and FLAC files at the same time and it works great but...

- I wonder why you're not using CDDB/Gracenote as one of the data sources. It is the most reliable I have found and it is even capable of figuring out what CDs are that I burned from the vinyl. (which amazes me)

- I am finding newish CDs (a few months old) that don't get identified at all by the *four* data sources you use.

- I am still trying to figure this out, but I can't see how to edit the track info for CDs I am trying to add where they can't be found by the auto detection so at the moment I am using Winamp to pick up the odd ones.

- I'm still not too confident about the "accurate rip". I find it odd that a whole disc gets ripped and one song is suddenly not accurate. I read the explanation and it makes sense but the encoded files still sound fine.

One persons opinions :smile2:

hmc
    Last edited by hmchapman; April 18, 2009, 02:16 AM.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Gracenote and non detected CDs

1. IIRC, if you use Gracenote, you cannot use ANY other meta-data sources, per the agreement with Gracenote.
    2. I haven't had this problem with brand-new CDs, personally.

Comment

• Thg6276
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2008

- I'm still not too confident about the "accurate rip". I find it odd that a whole disc gets ripped and one song is suddenly not accurate. I read the explanation and it makes sense but the encoded files still sound fine.

Same for me. BTW I've recently sent an example to Spoon about this.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

you are aware that on error cd drives place a block of silence in the audio, it is difficult sometimes to hear this silence, but the error is still there.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hmchapman
          • Apr 2009

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. I have only found the one "new" CD where the info wasn't retrieved. It's unfortunate that you can't use Gracenote but the sources you are using seem to work pretty well.

As far as the CDs made from vinyl, I am ripping those with WinAmp and getting the cover art with Album Cover Art Downloader, and fortunately don't have many of those.

Thanks

Murray

Comment

• flips
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by LtData
            1. IIRC, if you use Gracenote, you cannot use ANY other meta-data sources, per the agreement with Gracenote.
            2. I haven't had this problem with brand-new CDs, personally.
            Hm, too bad, because lately I have had several CDs (not brand new, I'm ripping older stuff) that was not found with Perfect Meta, but iTunes seemed to find it, using Gracenote.

Could it be possible somehow as a workaround to let Winamp, iTunes or some other program using Gracenote detect the CD, and the snoop/steal that data somehow and import to CD Ripper?

I was also puzzled with two or three CDs that only had some partial information (and partly wrong). But when I chose Alt+M to get the meta data overview, there was nothing listed from any of the sources. So I don't understand where the partly faulty meta data came from. My only guess would be CD-TEXT, but who on earth applies both incomplete and faulty CD-text to their CDs?
            Last edited by flips; November 23, 2009, 03:08 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

If ALT+M is always empty then you might have perfectmeta unchecked (it is switched off).
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• flips
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                If ALT+M is always empty then you might have perfectmeta unchecked (it is switched off).
                As far as I know, it has been checked all along.
                (It works and worked for lots of other albums, and I haven't turned it off ...)
                Well, no big deal, just a little confusing.

It would be cool if there was a way (manual or scripted) to "borrow" whatever metadata winamp or iTunes (or something else) discoveres using gracenote ... Anyone tried/found a way?

Comment

• EliC
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Spoon, have you communicated with gracenote by any chance? I totally agree that it would be great to add their service and maybe they would be agreeable now...

You may be able to get gracenote if you where willing to rip twice. You would have to allow itunes to rip, have dBpoweramp read the meta-data, and use that as a gracenote source and then re-rip in dBpoweramp. I doubt spoon would be willing to implement something like this, but it would be cool.

Again, opening up the PerfectMeta system and DSP systems to end user development may allow some ways to add new sources that spoon cannot officially support.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

I have no plans of implementing gracenote.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>