title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping Performance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den Billie
    • Apr 2009

Ripping Performance

Dear all,

As I want perfect rips from my CD collection, I have a concern that I can't get out of my head, so I hope you guys can help me.

While ripping cd's, I use my computer to browse websites, listen to my music, chat with my girlfriend, ... . Could doing other activities while ripping a cd possibly have an influence on the rip quality? I've watched my RAM and CPU values with browser open, winamp playing and chatting, and it all looks safe: -- total ram usage is 500 mb (with 4 gb of ram)
    - total CPU usage is about 10% when just ripping, about 70% when encoding

My question is: is it better to leave my pc alone when it's ripping a cd (and only have dBpoweramp as active application) or can I have other applications open without creating a bigger chance of errors in my ripped songs? 99% of my rips are secure or accurate according to dBpoweramp, but is there a possibility that some errors might slip in in the background, because of the other processes running, even when dBpoweramp says my rips are secure/accurate?

Hopefully someone can clear this out for me :smile:

Den Billie.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping Performance

Only if something really takes over the computer, or the computer tries to swap memory in/out of the swap file can ripping be interrupted.

If the Rip is reported as accurate / secure then there were no issues.

Also having a Dual core machine helps.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Den Billie
      • Apr 2009

Thanx for your answer, Spoon.

Memory issues shouldn't occur, as no more than 20% of my physical memory is used during ripping.

I do have a dual core system, being some cheap Intel E5200 processor :smile:. I've seen some options regarding dual/quad core processors, but as far as I've understand the help files correctly, I shouldn't modify these settings and just leave them standard.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You should not have any issues.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>