title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

:cry:CD Ripper causes Blue Screen of Death on Certain CDs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SolidState
    • Mar 2009

:cry:CD Ripper causes Blue Screen of Death on Certain CDs

Hi everyone,

I have a fresh install of MCE 2005 with SP3. It's an nForce 4 Ultra based board from Abit with a DDR1 Athlon 64 3200+. I have all the latest updates and drivers installed including the SATA/IDE drivers from AMD. The optical drive I'm using the rip the music is an SATA LG GH22LS30 with latest 1.01 factory/boxed firmware.

What I experience is a sudden blue screen of death stop error then a system reset. When logged back into windows I get the "recovered from serious error" screen with waring about possible hardware failure being the cause. I have ran prime95, Satan and other burn-in software for over a 24 hour period with no problems what so ever.

The only other media software installed on the machine is J River, Xmplay and the XP boxed Windows Media Player.

With regards to autorun, I have it set to disable inside of dbpoweramp but it's enabled inside windows.

Also of interest are these rootkits that install off the CDs (Sony's etc) that could cause these issues? I am unfamiliar with any of that stuff other than knowledge of it on the news wires a few years back.

For Antivirus and Spyware I use Eset NOD32 with SuperAntiSpyware for real time as well as Malwarebytes scheduled to run a on demand scan once a week on a Sunday night. I will run an indepth scan with those apps to see if anything is found.

I don't believe I have any "filter" drivers installed on the SATA/IDE device/interface though J River could have installed something perhaps. Also I'm not certain if these disks contain PC data and I'll check that out right after this post as it just occurred to me...

Solid-State
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: :cry:CD Ripper causes Blue Screen of Death on Certain CDs

Some chipset SATA drivers have been unreliable in the past. Can you try the Windows drivers instead?

-brendan

Comment

• SolidState
      • Mar 2009

Ok Brenden,

I'll give that a try as nVidia's drivers were screwy at one point in the time line. I do believe however that these drivers are fine. They had years to perfect them and I believe they are fine on this particular chipset.

It only seems to blue screen on CERTAIN CDs.... very specific ones that can be recreated easily by trying to rip that specific disk again.

I've checked these disks for data but they appear to be CDA only disks...

Solid-State

PS Is it possible that one of the disks could have contained something like the sony rootkit?
      Last edited by SolidState; March 01, 2009, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SolidState
        Ok Brenden,

I'll give that a try as nVidia's drivers were screwy at one point in the time line. I do believe however that these drivers are fine. They had years to perfect them and I believe they are fine on this particular chipset.

It only seems to blue screen on CERTAIN CDs.... very specific ones that can be recreated easily by trying to rip that specific disk again.

I've checked these disks for data but they appear to be CDA only disks...

Solid-State

PS Is it possible that one of the disks could have contained something like the sony rootkit?
        With those particular CDs, try in this order (between BSODs):

1. Try turning off CD-Text, CD-ISRC and CD-UPC in the meta drop down.

2. Try preventingdetection of Hidden First Track in Options dialog.

3. Try turning off C2 in secure dialog.

4. Try Comminicatoion=Windows Internal in Options dialog.

-brendan

Comment

• Solid-State
          • Feb 2009

Thanks for the help Brenden,

I don't have the nVidia SATA/IDE drivers installed and the same thing... BSOD...

I'll try those new suggestions this evening and get back to you.

Solid-State

PS I'd also like to add that it doesn't crash instantly when it rips. For example, on a particular disk, it managed to rip three tracks and the crashes on the fourth. I can recreate this error and it's at a certain point on the CD when it BSOD.
          Last edited by Solid-State; March 02, 2009, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The blue screen should show which driver is crashing, or a memory fault, etc. Check the CPU is not overheating.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Solid-State
              • Feb 2009

It doesn't seem to crash when I turn off C2... Also the CPU isn't over heating as it has a Nija heatsink! I was curious as to the best seting with my hardware (optical drive) GH-22ls30 LG

Justin
              Last edited by Solid-State; March 17, 2009, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>