title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do you prevent overwrite of ripped MP3 files when the track title is identical

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmyates
    • Nov 2007

How do you prevent overwrite of ripped MP3 files when the track title is identical

When ripping many times there are two or more tracks with exactly the same name (therefore exact same filename). Is there a setting location to prevent overwriting so the names can be fixed or made different? I am at v12.4.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How do you prevent overwrite of ripped MP3 files when the track title is identica

To naming add to the end:

[unique]

<edit one day I might learn to spell >
    Last edited by Spoon; January 05, 2009, 03:56 PM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

Re: How do you prevent overwrite of ripped MP3 files when the track title is identica

Should be [unique] (typo).

Less unique, but sometimes useful, is [cddb_id]. Hash from the table-of-contents.

Comment

• jmyates
        • Nov 2007

Hey, guys, thanks. Where is the documentation on all this type of stuff?

Comment

• Teknojnky
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by jmyates
          When ripping many times there are two or more tracks with exactly the same name (therefore exact same filename).
          Perhaps you should consider using more than just the title for the file name... like for example,

album artist - album - track# - artist - title

or use album folders to keep stuff organized

a common method is

album artist\year - album\track# - artist - title

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

See:

Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jmyates
              • Nov 2007

teknojnky - thanks for the suggestions. Putting the track number in the filename will certainly make the files different. There is also the longer term issue of identical track names that aren't identical from the same artist. Most databases have additional explanation but it does not always show up correctly in the ripping process. The other issue is the filenames sometimes get pretty long so artist - track title organized in folders with a unique database number representing the album works pretty well.

Spoon - Thanks for the full reference. I do not see the [unique] instruction listed or explained. Is there another location also? I know there is a lot of depth to this program that I have not plumbed yet.
              Last edited by jmyates; January 06, 2009, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

In CD Ripper if you click Set next to naming, a full description is given for the values.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jmyates
                  • Nov 2007

Spoon - It appears that the [unique] tag is not what I am looking for. My quest is much more simple I believe. I was hoping there was a setting that would prevent the overwriting of a similarly named file. This is a very common occurrence in the data for tracks and difficult to find otherwise. There is usually an explanation on the actual albums that is left off the data provided by AMG and others. Things like (demo) (take two) and similar explanations. These need to be added and sent back to the providers to improve the data.
                  You should know that I am always working with the original work in front of me so I have that information and can help all by updating the data.
                  However, it is very time consuming and difficult to make sure all the tracks have unique names up front. The overwrite protection would be a simple and easy improvement that would yield big dividends.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Working...

]]>