title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • franksr
    • Oct 2008

Ripping problems

I need help with a couple of issues I can't figure out. I have been using dBpoweramp to rip my CD's to Flac files and store them on a network attached storage device. I chose this software over all others I tried because it's powerful and pretty easy to use. So far, Ive ripped about 100 of 400 CD's. I have a couple of problems:

1) I have a few songs that add the first part of a track to the end of the previous track. The CD plays perfectly on my home stereo. I'm using an IBM ThinkPad 40P to rip. I don't know what CD drive is in the computer. I thought no problem, I will just use DSP and add 1 or 2 seconds of silence to the beginning or end of all tracks to ensure there is plenty of space between them. As a test, I added 10 seconds and ripped the CD. Well, it added the 10 seconds but it added it after the music I was trying to get rid of (the beginning of the second track attached to the end of the first track). Can someone tell me why this happend and how to prevent it?

2) I also have a few CD's that have dropouts after ripping. Again, the CD's play fine on my home stereo and are pristine (no scratches). I'm using Accurate Rip which shows I get a good rip. As an example, I get a figure of 15 matches showing a good rip. I don't understand why the software shows a good rip but still has dropouts when played. If I get 15 matches, does that mean that the 15 other people also get dropouts? Can someone tell me how to prevent this?

I would sure appreciate any help.

Regards,
    Ron
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Ripping problems

Regarding your questions:

1) Are these tracks from Live albums?

2) What happens if you rip these tracks to wav do you still get drop outs? How are you playing these files?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Convert the flac files to wave and play them on the pc in windows media player, are the drop outs still there?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

1) I believe what is going on is I have seen some CDs that have a negative time-index at the beginning of some tracks (besides track 1/0, mind you). This data is added to the end of the previous track. An easy way to figure out if this is the case if you only hear the missing data when you let the track beforehand play when the CD is in a CD player and you do NOT hear if it if you skip right to the track.

Comment

• franksr
          • Oct 2008

I believe I've discovered the problem: I think the CD is bad. I checked all other albums by this artist and a few CD's by other artists and none of them have the same problem. She tends to run her songs together often but the other CD's ripped perfectly. I'm going to order a new copy of the CD and see if that resolves the issue. BTW: I'll definitely be buying the registered version of the dBpoweramp software. Thanks again!

Comment

• Porcus
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by franksr
            I believe I've discovered the problem: I think the CD is bad.
            Always try more than one! (You could even have a "defective by design" -- those pesky copy protected things ...)

Comment

Working...

]]>