title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

One track on pristine disc wont rip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sredmyer
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2008

One track on pristine disc wont rip

I have a disc which appears to be pristine. That is to say that a visual inspection shows no scratches on either the playside or the label side (also no foil damage). This discs has 16 tracks, all of which play perfectly when played on my PC's CD-ROM drive. When I go to rip this disc all tracks except track 14 rip perfectly with AR agreement. Not only does track 14 not rip to agreement with AR, it also can not be ripped (via Ultra Secure) without error. I tried ripping the track in burst mode and it does indeed rip this way but with significant audio problems (skips and the like) at one point in the song.

Question is why is this? How can the disc appear to have no problems and indeed play fine but not be able to rip. I am aware of manufacturing defects which can prevent a good rip (while the discs show no visible flaws) but those defects show up in play as well as rip. Oh by the way I played this disc on the same machine in the same drive as I tried to rip it in.

Thanks,
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: One track on pristine disc wont rip

A good test would be to try a different cd drive to rip with.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sredmyer
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
      A good test would be to try a different cd drive to rip with.
      While this may (or may not) allow me to rip the track, I am still interested in what might be going on. Why can the same CD-ROM play the disc without problem but can not rip it?

Thanks,

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The disc almost certainly has a manufacturing defect, although it looks ok, at the lazer scale it would have something wrong.

Often when a disc is played the audio side of the drive takes over (will interpolate any errors to silence, now most CD drives will do the same for DAE, but yours seems not to).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hatfield
          • Jan 2008

I've had the same thing happen to me a few times. Ripped a disc in secure mode that is in mint condition. One or two tracks will not rip properly even though I've tried numerous times thinking that eventually it will rip okay. I still had the same problem. Put the disc in my laptop and used dbpoweramp with the same settings and it ripped perfectly.

Comment

• Porcus
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2007

Happens from time to time. Actually, I once ripped about 250 CDs in those classical music budget box sets, all from one of those labels who license inexpensive recordings and hire the cheapest CD factory they can find. Of those which were unplayed and immaculate, some 5% had these defects.

Comment

Working...

]]>