title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Drive Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: CD Drive Recommendations

Originally posted by funkyblue
    I can get a SH-S223. Will try that one.
    SH-S223 or SH-203B?

-brendan

Comment

• funkyblue
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Oct 2007

SH-S223..It's the newer one and most avaliable.

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Ok. I just didn't see it discussed at all in the forum (I searched). Good luck!

-brendan

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

FYI, I picked up a SH-222L PATA drive to test, as well as ten SH-202N/BEBN PATA drives (for upgrading Kodak kiosk robots to lightscribe DVD+-RW/-RAM units - the latter model was $19.99 w/ free shipping on black friday).

So far so good, they both seem excellent for use w/ dbpoweramp for secure ripping (C2 support and no caching either, nice). Plus the firmware can be modified for some DVD-related tricks.

And with proper cutting and grinding, they fit in the kodak kiosk robots.

-brendan

PS - looks like the last digit of Samsung drive models (not last letter, last numerical digit) represents the interface..."2" for PATA, "3" for SATA and "4" for USB. The last letter is more complicated...it can represent whether certain features are present or not (e.g. lightscribe), but it doesn't seem to fit a particular standard across model families. But I'd bet quite a bit that the SH-202(x) and the SH-203(y) (where x and y represent the same feature set excluding interface) are exactly the same with respect to everything except for the interface. So, any good things written about the SH-203(y) are also true about the SH-202(x) even though it is a PATA drive.
          Last edited by bhoar; December 05, 2008, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• MusicTrax
            • Feb 2007

I've noted that the people over at CDR Labs.com specifically cite C2 error info capability in all the CD/DVD drives they review. I've found this particularly helpful when you're comparing closely-numbered models, released only months apart. Sometimes, one will have C2, and the other won't.

I also agree that Plextor isn't what they used to be. I miss the fact that they used to give out PlexTools with their old drives, which was a really useful utility.

Comment

Working...

]]>