title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Naming Convention... Still More Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CoolHandZeke
    • Mar 2008

Naming Convention... Still More Questions

Wow, I just can't seem to get this. LtData, I've even read your sticky on how to properly do it. No offense, but this stuff is really confusing. I've tried and tried on how to properly name, but all configurations aren't getting what I want. I LOVE dBpoweramp, and keep putting off ripping my 5,000 (!!! . . . serious) CD collection to .flac on account that I want to get it right the first time around so that I don't have to use mp3tag to edit/update metadata later on.

Sidenote: MediaMonkey is having a problem with dBpoweramp's rips. Some of the track #'s list the artist instead of the number. Weird... Which media player should I go with for .flac?

Anyways, without causing too much of a stir considering that I have posted a lot of questions lately, I'll try to nail down what I would like to do once last time. Thanks for any help that anyone may provide. And please, I apologize for the continued posts. Please believe me that I've been doing research, reading, and trial and error without much luck.

I'd like to organize my Windows Explorer "My Music" folder with 4 main categories: 'Artist' folder (for the many artists), 'Various Artists' folder (for the compilation CD's, 'Soundtrack' folder, and 'Score' folder. So if you can imagine the folder structure below: Artist\Album Title OR Various Artists\Album Title OR Score\Album Title OR Soundtrack\Album Title

Aphex Twin
    -I Care Because You Do
    -Windowlicker

Archade Fire
    -Funeral
    -Neon Bible

Audioslave
    -Audioslave

etc.

Score
    -Confidence
    -Dark Knight, The
    -etc.

Soundtrack
    -Garden State
    -Hackers
    -Office Space
    -etc.

Various Artists
    -80's New Wave, Vol. 1
    -A to Z of Classical Music
    -Borders
    -Cafe Cubana
    -etc.

I'd like dBpoweramp to have the following rules: If the genre is EITHER 'Score' or 'Soundtrack' to put that particular album within the folder of that category (if 'Score' then My Music\Score\Album Title and if 'Soundtrack' then My Music\Soundtrack\Album Title). But if the genre is ANYTHING else, to put the album within the appropriate folder for the 'Artist' (if not a compilation CD) or the 'Various Artists' folder (if a compilation CD).

I've gotten quite close a couple of times, but not cigar just yet. So if any of you have a few moments of spare time, and enjoy a good challenge, please feel free to help me out.

Take care. And thank you very, very much.

Zeke
  • CoolHandZeke
    • Mar 2008

Re: Naming Convention... Still More Questions

Oooh, I'm getting closer. Kind of exciting to be somewhat picking this stuff up. Though I'm replying to my own post, I still haven't quite got it. But here is what I have.

WITHOUT compilation checked:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][]\[track] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] - [artist] - [title][]

which equals this:

David Julyan\Prestige, The\02 - The Prestige - David Julyan - Colorado Springs

WITH compilation checked it equals this (same thing because it is essentially a non-compilation CD):

David Julyan\Prestige, The\02 - Prestige, The - David Julyan - Colorado Springs

So, I still haven't gotten as far as getting 'Score' or 'Soundtrack' as the main folder yet. And I haven't checked a Various Artist compilation CD yet. But I REALLY LIKE the order of the file name above. Especially with the album title as "Title, The" and the order of the actual file name: Track # - "Album, The" - Artist - Track Title

Comment

• CoolHandZeke
      • Mar 2008

Actually, come to think of it, why aren't these the same:

Without comp:
      David Julyan\Prestige, The\02 - The Prestige - David Julyan - Colorado Springs

With comp:
      David Julyan\Prestige, The\02 - Prestige, The - David Julyan - Colorado Springs

I'd like to get the "Album Title, The" for both as it is in the second one...

So many questions!

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Because your naming scheme doesn't have them the same. Try this for your base naming scheme:
        Code:
        [IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][]\[track] - [b][IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][][/b] - [artist] - [title][]
        I have bolded the part I changed in your naming scheme to better point it out. Note you may want to move the "multi" part at the end of the naming scheme now. In fact, if we make the part after the "artist", "various", etc the same, we can shorten the naming scheme to this:
        Code:
        [IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][] - [artist] - [title]
        and can then merge in the other tips I gave you to make what will hopefully be a final result of:
        Code:
        [IFEQUALS]genre,Scores,Scores[][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,Soundtracks[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][title][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][][][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][] - [artist] - [title][]
        Do note I would test this before using it, as I may have missed a bracket or three.
        Last edited by LtData; September 21, 2008, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• CoolHandZeke
          • Mar 2008

First, thank you for your help, LtData. Seriously. I continued working on this last night after I posted and wasn't able to get very far. But previous posts by "msb" and "sredmyer" in the "Your Naming Scheme" help a little because they used colors and different grouping to help understand where the code starts and ends. Especially post #11 by msb.

Okay, so as far as the final result from your last post, I'm still trying to understand it. If the value in genre equals score, then Score. If the value in genre does NOT equal score, and if the value in genre equals soundtrack, then Soundtrack. If the value in genre does not equal score and does not equal soundtrack, . . . and IFCOMP, IFVALUE (this is where I get confused):

[IFEQUALS]genre,Score,Score[][IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,Soundtrack[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][] - [artist] - [title][]

Here is what it gave me (I simply changed the genre in dBpoweramp and then using the naming scheme clicked on "Current CD Meta" to test it out)...

Without 'Compilation' checked and the genre set to 'Score':

"Score" -- That was it. A single folder titled "Score." We're getting closer!

Without 'Compilation' checked and the genre set to 'Soundtrack':

"SoundtrackDavid Julyan\Prestige, The\02 - Prestige, The - David Julyan - Colorado Springs" -- I need to figure out how to take out the highlighted part. But as you can see, this is much better!

With 'Compilation' checked and the genre set to 'Score':

"Score" -- Again, that was it. A single folder titled "Score."

With 'Compilation' checked and the genre set to 'Soundtrack':

"Soundtrack\Prestige, The\02 - Prestige, The - David Julyan - Colorado Springs" -- Got it! Right? Because the genre trumps the compilation, correct?

Anyways, I'm still plugging away at it. But this is much, much closer than I've gotten. I'm starting to wonder if I should use the base naming scheme as a profile for everything non-score or non-soundtrack. Then create a single profile for both score and soundtrack. What do you think?

Again, thank you. I know that this takes time and I appreciate all the help.

Zeke

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Found a couple typos, try this:
            Code:
            [IFEQUALS]genre,Scores,Scores[][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,Soundtracks[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][title][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][][][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][] - [artist] - [title][]

Comment

• CoolHandZeke
              • Mar 2008

LtData, you rock. That's awesome. Very close now...

I've got the SOUNDTRACK to HACKERS in now, which is a COMPILATION. Here is what that naming scheme translates to:

Genre = Soundtrack & Compilation = No:
              "Soundtrack\02 - - Underworld - Cowgirl[]"

Genre = Soundtrack & Compilation = Yes:
              "Soundtrack\02 - - Underworld - Cowgirl[]"

Genre = Score & Compilation = No:
              "Score\02 - - Underworld - Cowgirl[]"

Genre = Score & Compilation = Yes:
              "Score\02 - - Underworld - Cowgirl[]"

Close! But for each:

1) The second folder for the album name is missing because there is no word "The" associated with the album title. I need to include the opposite so that if there is no word "The," it will simply capture the album title. Opposite of this: [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][]

2) Again, the file name is missing the album title because it skipping over the album name because of the missing "The."

3) There is an extra bracket.

I've been working on this, in a readable format:

[IFCOMP]
              [IFEQUALS]genre,Score,Score[]
              [IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,Soundtrack[][]
              [IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][]
              \
              [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
              \
              [track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][] - [artist] - [title]
              []

[IF!COMP]
              [IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][][]
              \
              [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
              \
              [track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] - [artist] - [title]
              []

This code produces these results:
              "Soundtrack\02 - - Underworld - Cowgirl"
              "Score\02 - - Underworld - Cowgirl"

I think that my naming scheme is MUCH, MUCH longer than yours, but practically the same thing now. I just don't understand how to shorten it. And it's easier for me to write it that way, then delete the appropriate spaces, because it's a little easier to follow.

In final, I'm missing the opposite of this:

I need something like, [IF!EQUALS]album, The . . .

Aaaah! So freakin' close!
              Last edited by CoolHandZeke; September 22, 2008, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

For readability's sake:
                Code:
                [IFEQUALS]genre,Scores,Scores[]
                [IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,Soundtracks[][]
                [IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,
                	[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,
                		[IFCOMP]
                			[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]
                		[]
                		[title]
                		[IF!COMP]
                			[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]
                		[]
                		\
                		[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][]
                		[IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][]
                		[IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
                	[]
                []
                \[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][] - [artist] - [title]
                And for copy-pasting:
                Code:
                [IFEQUALS]genre,Scores,Scores[][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,Soundtracks[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][title][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][][][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][] - [artist] - [title]
                Still doesn't address Soundtrack/Score AND compilation. Could you paste an example (without your modified album section) of what you want?

Comment

• CoolHandZeke
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by LtData
                  Still doesn't address Soundtrack/Score AND compilation. Could you paste an example (without your modified album section) of what you want?
                  Certainly! I'm still working on it, but this is exactly what I'm aiming for...

**If Score:

Score\Album Title OR Album Title, The\Track - Album Title OR Album Title, The - Artist OR Artist, The - Track Title.flac

**If Soundtrack:

Soundtrack\Album Title OR Album Title, The\Track - Album Title OR Album Title, The - Artist OR Artist, The - Track Title.flac

**If NEITHER Score or Soundtrack, and NOT compilation:

Album Artist OR Album Artist, The\Album Title OR Album Title, The\Track - Album Title OR Album Title, The - Artist OR Artist, The - Track Title.flac

**If NEITHER Score or Soundtrack, AND compilation:

Various Artists\Album Title OR Album Title, The\Track - Album Title OR Album Title, The - Artist OR Artist, The - Track Title.flac

So the ONLY thing that changes is the root folder, between Score, Soundtrack, Album Artist, and Various Artists.
                  Last edited by CoolHandZeke; September 23, 2008, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• CoolHandZeke
                    • Mar 2008

I think I just might have it. But this is really, really long...and dBpoweramp will not accept the length of this naming string. When I paste it and check "Current CD Meta" for all the different settings, it works! However, as soon as I click "Okay" to get out of the window, it cuts off the end of it.

LtData, I'm not sure how you are able to copy and paste it so nice in one box, but here it is:

[IFCOMP][IFEQUALS]genre,Score,Score[][IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,Soundtrack[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][] [IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] – [IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artist][] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFEQUALS]genre,Score,Score[][IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,Soundtrack[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] – [IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artist][] - [title][]

And for attempted readability:

[IFCOMP]
                    [IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,Soundtrack[][]
                    [IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][]
                    \
                    [IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
                    \
                    [track]
                    -
                    [IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
                    -
                    [IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][]
                    [IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artist][]
                    -
                    [title]
                    []

[IF!COMP]
                    [IF!EQUALS]genre,Score,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtrack,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][][]
                    \
                    [IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
                    \
                    [track]
                    -
                    [IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
                    -
                    [IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][]
                    [IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artist][]
                    -
                    [title]
                    []

I think I'm going crazy and this is getting ridiculous. How the heck do I shorten this??? :mad:

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Actually, if the only difference between your naming schemes is the root folder, try this:
                      Code:
                      [IFEQUALS]genre,Scores,Scores[]
                      [IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,Soundtracks[][]
                      [IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,
                      	[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,
                      		[IFCOMP]
                      			[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]
                      		[]
                      		[title]
                      		[IF!COMP]
                      			[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]
                      		[]
                      	[]
                      []
                      \
                      [IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
                      \[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][] - [artist] - [title]
                      or, on one line:
                      Code:
                      [IFEQUALS]genre,Scores,Scores[][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,Soundtracks[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[][][title][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][][][]\[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] - [IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][][IF!EQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[album][] - [artist] - [title]
                      As for the nice scroll boxes, I just put [code] at the beginning and [ /code] at the end (note: the end one doesn't have spaces, i had to put them there so you could see it.

Comment

• CoolHandZeke
                        • Mar 2008

LtData-

Holy crap, you got it. :D Thank you VERY MUCH. It's funny to think that I've been trying to figure this out for a few days! You did most, if not all, of the work.

I'm starting to get the hang of it, however. Little by little.

Again, thanks. Don't be surprised if I post here sooner than later with more questions. I love dBpoweramp and am very happy to know that my CD collection will soon be ripped to flac and streamed in my home.

Very cool.

Zeke

Comment

Working...

]]>