title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Feedback from new user (ex-EAC)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeVerm
    • Sep 2008

Feedback from new user (ex-EAC)

Hi all,

First of all, I want to send my congrats to Spoon for this very nice set of programs. I wonder what development environment you use? I come from software development myself.

I must say that I was happy with EAC but bothered by loosing time getting cover-art. Also, other squeezebox users referred to dbpoweramp to often for me to resist ;-)

I see nothing that I don't like which doesn't normally happen when I start using a new program, so that's very good. There's things that I don't see but would like to see so here they are:

1. I'm ex-EAC so I knew about the mechanism to initialize accuraterip (AR). I also knew that my Talk Talk CD would do it in 1 go so I was quickly on track. But for new users, this isn't obvious. What they see is that their AR fails every time and looking at the man-page, there's no hint that AR might not yet be initialized. A mention about this in the log (status-window after rip) would help but even better would be a pointer/reminder in the main window in the Rip Status column.

2. So, with an accurate rip I see how many other rip's in the DB agree with mine. I would love to see how many do NOT agree as well, or the total number of records for that disc-id!

3. I'm strange so I'm running this on a slow computer (but high tech, it's a Pico-ITX miniature / embedded thing). CPU is VIA and dual-core and the ripper is utilizing that very well. I'm ripping to FLAC using an external Sony DRU-810. The encoding normally (when rip speed > 8x) takes longer than the ripping. I see that the rip+encode process could be optimized to run faster. I simply determined that by looking simultaniously at the CPU utilization + rip-status. There's basically 2 threads working which are either ripping or encoding. However, sometimes 1 thread is waiting for the other one to finish a rip. During that time CPU is having some free time. Without knowing internals, the following would take care of most of these situations: thread finishes ripping: checks how many ripped but not yet encoded tracks there are: when less than 2 (so only the one it just ripped) -> rip next track (if there's 1 more available on CD) instead of encoding the 1 that's just ripped. Thread finishes encoding: see if CD drive is available and more tracks to rip: if so, rip; if not, encode.
    I probably miss some details but the idea is that there's always at least 1 thread encoding after the first track is ripped.

That's it!

I still need to study that cover-art mechanism... can I upload missing cover-art? I think I managed but I'm not sure who are the providers as I didn't read man-page on that yet.

cheers,
    Nick.
  • NPendrigh
    • Aug 2008

Re: Feedback from new user (ex-EAC)

Cover Art can be easily added by clicking the bold + sign next to Album Art at the bottom right of the RIP screen

The sources I use are:
    - automatic - Perfectmeta does it
    - manual
    -- from a photo I have taken of the cover
    -- from a web search

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DeVerm
      2. So, with an accurate rip I see how many other rip's in the DB agree with mine. I would love to see how many do NOT agree as well, or the total number of records for that disc-id!
      I do not think AccurateRip can, at this stage, distinguish between different pressings. By "different pressings", I mean two discs with the same bits, but different offsets.

So in the event that you have got a rare pressing, the information that 3 agree and 15 disagree would mislead the users into thinking that their rip is inaccurate. In this case, the number of "disagrees" is simply not relevant for the accuracy and should be left out.

Things like that do actually happen. I have a pressing of Metallica's "Reload" which was not even in AccurateRip.

Comment

• DeVerm
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by NPendrigh
        Cover Art can be easily added by clicking the bold + sign next to Album Art at the bottom right of the RIP screen

The sources I use are:
        - automatic - Perfectmeta does it
        - manual
        -- from a photo I have taken of the cover
        -- from a web search
        I just read the man-page and see that it's (Perfectmeta) retrieved from GD3 & AMG. I had this '60s album "Green Onions" from Booker T & the MG's with many recordings from the '50s on it (!) and was very very surprised to find that 7 records in AR existed for it (I expected to be the first ;-)) but album art was not available. I added my own and send an update to AMG so now I wonder if it's there and/or how long it takes before updates are processed. I'll insert the CD again later to find out.

You don't have a scanner???!! Get the cheapest Canon (like $30 or so); you'll love it!

cheers,
        Nick.

Comment

• DeVerm
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Porcus
          I do not think AccurateRip can, at this stage, distinguish between different pressings. By "different pressings", I mean two discs with the same bits, but different offsets.

So in the event that you have got a rare pressing, the information that 3 agree and 15 disagree would mislead the users into thinking that their rip is inaccurate. In this case, the number of "disagrees" is simply not relevant for the accuracy and should be left out.

Things like that do actually happen. I have a pressing of Metallica's "Reload" which was not even in AccurateRip.
          I fully understand that. I have the feeling that both Spoon and most of the users (fan's a better word?) are quite geeky incl. me and more detailed info is always appreciated. After ripping, the rip-status at the main window could be made clickable with a pop-up telling all from AR database for this track/disc-id combo. I do know that a -single- "Not Accurate but Secure" makes it into the database because I was the 2nd one with a couple of CDs getting Accurate(1). The pop-up could list each CRC known plus number of entries for that CRC, sorted by number of entries (highest first) and highlight "your" entry with a background color green or red... red when not accurate & not secure and green when either accurate or secure. Could even state/explain if you're good with your rip or not to keep more novice users on track. That would be lovely because I am just curious about that info and many geeks are just like me.
          I also know that Spoon will want to keep load on the server as minimal as possible... but most if not all of that info is queried anyway I think... This is just icing on the cake but if development priorities allow some work on the icing I think this is a real good one to highlight the unique AR better. Looks great in the manual too.

ciao!
          Nick.

Comment

Working...

]]>