title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unrippable CD? Doable in EAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbmccune
    • Jan 2008

Unrippable CD? Doable in EAC

I've got one stubborn CD that dBpoweramp just doesn't seem to want to rip. The album is "Delerium - Karma". I'm running:
    dBpoweramp Music Converter
    Release 13
    Registration Status
    Reference: Registered

Multi-Encode R2
    FLAC R11
    Real Audio (Helix) R5

I'm using a Samsung SH-S203B drive to rip, set to 2048 KB cache, and dBpoweramp reports C2 support.

I'm using the Multi-Encoder to rip/encode to FLAC and MP3, and it's been working great. For this one CD, when it comes up with my default Secure settings, it shows a hidden first track as 62:08:16 long, the first real track as 335:41:10 long, plus the 10 other normal tracks with correct lengths. If I try to select everything, including the hidden first track, the program crashes. If I select anything else, or everything except the hidden first track, they all error immediately. Interestingly, it only finds metadata from freedb this way as well.

If I change it to use Defective By Design with both boxes ticked in the settings, it only shows the regular 11 tracks, and they all have valid lengths. It also is able to find metadata for all providers this way. However, if I try to rip any or all of the tracks, they still error immediately.

I remember ripping this CD with EAC a while back, and I had to manually set the offset of the first track to 0 to get it to work. I don't see any options like that in dBpoweramp though.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something? Thanks for your help!

-Jesse
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Unrippable CD? Doable in EAC

If you could try ripping in EAC again, as this disc sounds like it employs the copy protection of a false 2nd session, which defective by design can see through, so it is down to the drive to read the disc then.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jbmccune
      • Jan 2008

It seems you're correct. Rather than try EAC first, I tried another drive I have - a Sony DRU-810A, and it worked. I didn't have to change it to Defective by Design at all, and I even check the hidden first track. The hidden first track errored out, but without crashing the program, the rest of the CD ripped fine, and even the metadata worked correctly the first time.

The only thing that was still very weird is that while it was still ripping the first track, the percent complete was displayed as 12705% instead of 0%. After that track was complete, it displayed correctly again.

Also, why would dBpoweramp crash when trying to read the hidden first track on my Samsung?

I'm still going to verify for you that EAC can't rip this CD on the Samsung, but I won't get to that until tonight. I don't have it installed anymore.

Darn, I thought I was getting a versatile CD/DVD drive with this Samsung. Is there actually a CD/DVD+RW dual-layer burner out there out there that does C2 correctly and can read all of these different kinds of weird discs acurately and at a good speed? I was hoping for a single-drive solution and thought I was doing well with the Samsung.

-Jesse

Comment

• DazBYorks
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Feb 2008

Hi,

I have an SH-S203D and have experienced the same issues - EAC won't read them either. I also have a Sony drive, which hasn't failed to read said discs.

Daz

Comment

Working...

]]>