title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Squeezebox and FLAC problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrism1966
    • May 2008

Squeezebox and FLAC problem

Ive just bought a Squeezebox duet. Set up on network ok, all updates done, but all my dbpoweramp FLAC file play really choppy? Mp3 files play fine also Internet radio plays fine as well. When i use my mediamonkey to play back FLAC files they play ok? I am a complete novice!!! Can any one help??

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Squeezebox and FLAC problem

Perhaps you network cannot stream the flac file fast enough? using wireless?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chrism1966
      • May 2008

Yes im using wireless Belkin F5D8233 N1 router even when signal is at full strength FLAC tracks play "choppy"

Hope you can help?:cry:

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

The squeezebox is connected with G-speed or N-speed wireless?

Comment

• dsdreamer
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by chrism1966
          Yes im using wireless Belkin F5D8233 N1 router even when signal is at full strength FLAC tracks play "choppy"

Hope you can help?:cry:
          Try using the network test (under extras) to check what is the fastest speed you can stream reliably. I am not sure how to find it on the duet, (I have the SB3). If you can find this menu item, increase the data rate until you get less than 100% success rate, and report back. If you can get 1000kbps reliably, then I would assume you have enough margin to stream flac encoded CDs.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Or as a test plug an ethernet cable between your devices and the router (so not using wireless), that would show it was the wireless that was having issues.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chrism1966
              • May 2008

it is working on an N powered router. I seem to be able to stream mp3 but not FLAC are they harder to stream??

Thanks for your time!!!

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Streaming FLAC involves more data being transferred, as FLAC files are about 4-5 times larger than mp3 files. Also, the type of router you are using doesn't matter if the endpoint doesn't support the highest speed. A quick google search shows that the Squeezebox Duet just supports 802.11g, so your max speed is 54Mbps (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html).

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

You may have better luck posting over at the squeezebox forums. They seem to be a very helpful group in diagnosing problems. I do know that many people are streaming FLAC files wirelessly with no problems, so I suspect your problem can in fact be solved.

Comment

• DeVerm
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by LtData
                    Streaming FLAC involves more data being transferred, as FLAC files are about 4-5 times larger than mp3 files. Also, the type of router you are using doesn't matter if the endpoint doesn't support the highest speed. A quick google search shows that the Squeezebox Duet just supports 802.11g, so your max speed is 54Mbps (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html).
                    Hey Lt : Data should be able to tell you that 54 Mbps will give you, let's say, 5 MByte/s which should be sufficient for anything Redbook down.

I think he's caught in one of those "SB wifi compatibility" issues.

ciao!
                    Verm.

Comment

• NPendrigh
                      • Aug 2008

Have you tried Spoon's excellent earlier suggestion of connecting the network using cables instead of wireless as a test?

I would like to know the answer to that experiment

Comment

Working...

]]>