title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Accurate Rip - but poor quality

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mozart56
    • May 2008

Accurate Rip - but poor quality

Hi guys

I'm using the fully registered version of DBPA and maximum secure settings. When ripping a CD I get the Accurate Rip confirmation on all the tracks and the secure stamp, but when I play the file on my squeezebox I can hear an audible pop on one of the tracks that sounds like an error on transfer. I have re-ripped the track a couple of times and it is still there in spite of the accurate rip confirmation. I have also played the same CD via my old pioneer DVD player digital out into the same DAC that I run my squeezebox into and get no pop, so the CD is fine. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Accurate Rip - but poor quality

What codec and settings are you using? Have you tried to rip to a codec and/or modified the settings?

-brendan

Comment

• Mozart56
      • May 2008

Hi Brendan

I'm ripping to FLAC and using the standard secure and ultra secure settings. Flac compression is a Level 5 (medium) I think. I'm at work right now so don't have it in front of me. Is there anything more specific I should investigate? I was just surprised to get the accurate rip confirmation when there are obvious errors.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Using c2 pointers as well? There exist some cds which are mastered badly which do have audible pops on the CD!

Make sure you are not using any DSP effects (such as volume normalize).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mozart56
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
          Using c2 pointers as well? There exist some cds which are mastered badly which do have audible pops on the CD!

Make sure you are not using any DSP effects (such as volume normalize).
          Never use the DSP effects. Haven't tried the C2 pointers check yet, but thought that if it returned a success in accurate rip I wouldn't need too. It's definitely not on the disc as I don't hear it when I use a conventional player.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

A conventional CD player would effectively silence out any error on the disc, if the result is in accuraterip and it came from another person, with another disc, then it is possible a manufactoring defect affects all the discs, c2 pointers might detect such.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mozart56
              Hi Brendan

I'm ripping to FLAC and using the standard secure and ultra secure settings. Flac compression is a Level 5 (medium) I think. I'm at work right now so don't have it in front of me. Is there anything more specific I should investigate? I was just surprised to get the accurate rip confirmation when there are obvious errors.
              Try ripping just the problem track to MP3 and then playing it on the ripping computer. Does the pop happen there too?

-brendan

Comment

• Porcus
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2007

then it is possible a manufactoring defect affects all the discs, c2 pointers might detect such.
                But even Ultra Secure mode will conclude that the rip is jolly good as long as it matches AccurateRip. Need to disconnect from the internet first, maybe?

Comment

• Mozart56
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Porcus
                  But even Ultra Secure mode will conclude that the rip is jolly good as long as it matches AccurateRip. Need to disconnect from the internet first, maybe?
                  Will try that.

Disc is Diana Krall's "Love Songs" and the track is track 7. Very popular disc that has been ripped many times, so I'm not certain that it is a manufacturing error. I've actually had a similar problem with a timing error, and it came up as a accurate rip. Re-ripping seemed to solve the problem for that error. Wondering whether accurate rip has defective results in it? Also not sure why my DVD player playing digital out would "silence" the defect. It is going into exactly the same upsampling DAC. Surely the digital feeds should be identical?

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

Did you try my suggestion of ripping to an alternate codec, with alternate settings and playing back on an alternate platform? Just in case the issue isn't the ripped data itself?

-brendan
                    Last edited by bhoar; May 30, 2008, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Mozart56
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by bhoar
                      Did you try my suggestion of ripping to an alternate codec, with alternate settings and playing back on an alternate platform? Just in case the issue isn't the ripped data itself?

-brendan
                      Hi Brendan
                      Will try that tonight. The squeezbox plays all formats so I'll try MP3 and see how it goes.

Comment

• bhoar
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mozart56
                        Hi Brendan
                        Will try that tonight. The squeezbox plays all formats so I'll try MP3 and see how it goes.
                        Please try it on windows media player or itunes as well, just in case.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Uncheck the AccurateRip option (Options), then the program will check the track on its own, not against accuraterip.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mozart56
                            • May 2008

Uncheck the AccurateRip option (Options), then the program will check the track on its own, not against accuraterip.
                            Thanks Spoon. Semmed to have it finally working. Lesson here is to trust your ears and not accurate rip I also bought a cheap Pioneer DVR 213 to sit below my LG spinner. Going forward I might try both and see if there is any difference. The LG seemed to take forever to get it right. Cheers.

Comment

Working...

]]>