title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Why the burst passes if CD not in AR?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Porcus
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2007

Why the burst passes if CD not in AR?

Just curious -- are they used for anything?
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Why the burst passes if CD not in AR?

Originally posted by Porcus
    Just curious -- are they used for anything?
    Can you be more specific? I assume you have Secure enabled. Do you have Ultra enabled? C2?

EDIT: Even if ultra and C2 are disabled, the burst passes are still the foundation for the secure rip. The two burst passes are cross-checked for data differences and analyzed for signs of interpolation by the drive using spoon's custom interpolation-detection algorithm. The second pass can have the speed adjusted in the secure settings to help to "promote" any differences between burst passes, if they exist.

Only then is the "traditionally secure" behavior performed, reripping of known problematic or suspicious frames (based on analysis of the first two burst rips and optional ultra rips).

At least, that's my understanding,

I don't know if spoon uses the relatively-recently defined DAP bit to force drives that advertise this capability to turn on and off interpolation/muting on any passes.

-brendan
    Last edited by bhoar; May 26, 2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

Re: Why the burst passes if CD not in AR?

The reason why I ask is that the number of clean passes required, does not seem to include the burst passes. I have set this value to 3, and it always -- except in cases of failure -- reads at least 3 Ultra-Secure passes. So I am curious whether "3" really means "5, two Burst + three Ultra-Secure" or whether the burst passes are simply discarded given when Ultra-Secure is started.

Comment

Working...

]]>