title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Finding a good drive (It's impossible)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funkyblue
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2007

Finding a good drive (It's impossible)

Hey All,

I've been trying to find a new drive and ended up just replacing my Plextor 40-TS SCSI drive only to find C2 is not supported in dBpoweramp's CD ripper.

Is there an CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD/DVD BURNER available that can:

-Overread into lead in/out
    -Has accurate C2
    -HTOA
    -No cache
    -Reasonably fast.

I have a PX-230A drive which I know has been tested as great for reading CD's, yet it does not read into the leadin/out. (A feature I want)

I just don't understand why a manufacture does not make a simple reader that has these features.

I have seen daefeatures.co.uk but there is nothing there that is a recent drive.

If anyone knows a recent drive that would be great

Cheers
  • Ney
    • Nov 2007

Re: Finding a good drive (It's impossible)

Why would you want a drive without cache? I can't think of a single drive that does not have cache.

Comment

• EliC
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

The preferred option, IMHO, to a drive w/o cache is a drive, like the plextors, were the cache can be disabled.

Comment

• funkyblue
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2007

How does dBpoweramp CD Ripper handle the cache feature of a drive?
        Is it different to EAC, meaning a drive that does cache might be ok?

Lite-On LH-20A1H 20x Super AllWrite DVD±RW/RAM seems to have good C2, read into leadin/out, but also cache's audio.

storage, reviews, news, SSD, HDD, DVD, Blu-ray, optical, hard drive, solid state drive, flash drive, DVD-R, BD-R, CD-R, flash memory

I just tried my older LiteOn SHW-1635S and did a quick test. EAC lists it as caching audio. dBpoweramp said the drive supports the feature "Clear Read Cache with FUA."

If this is the case, how reliable is dBpoweramp in testing? I thought it was only Plextor drives? Drive rips very fast in secure mode with C2 selected as well.

I'm going to grab a Lite-On LH-20A1H and do the same test. IF dBpowerable disables the cache properly (Via FUA like my current drive), we would have found the perfect drive!

Comment

• paddlefoot
          • Aug 2007

funkyblue,

I am looking for almost the same thing. I need one that has those features, can be used with an external enclosure (USB 2.0), and Vista.

I will be ripping to separate tracks, so I may not need HTOA.

What do you think of the Plextor 760A?

Comment

• funkyblue
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2007

I am unsure about the PX760A. Let me get a LH-20A1H and do some more through testing. If's its cache can be disabled via FUA in dBpoweramp CD Ripper (I want to check with a couple of people after I have tested), then it will be pretty much what we want.

I'd get the PX-760A if I could, but I couldn't find it anywhere to import.

Comment

• funkyblue
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2007

I am just testing the Lite-On SH-20A1P. My initial testing with dBpoweramp tells me the drive can read into the leadin/out, has no cache (can use FUA command) and has C2.

Going to do some more testing and put up some screenshots. Might just be what lots of people are looking for (and cheap!). Just depends on if the cache can really be disabled and how accurate C2 is.

I have also tested the Lite-On SH-20A1S version and it does not read into the leadin/out.

My testing of these two drives gives the same results as the postings on DAE features.

Cheers

Comment

• bhoar
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2006

Just a side note on cache:

1. Cache is bad for ripping when rereads are needed to verify that dust, bad optics or disc damage/warping isn't causing the wrong bits to show up.

2. Disabling cache can be done in three ways:

a) Some drives use no cache when ripping audio, but this is rare and typically a "feature" of ancient (read: slow) drives.

b) Some drives include special commands (e.g. FUA) that can be used to turn off the cache for audio ripping applications.

c) In a worst case scenario where rereads are needed, knowing the size of the RAM cache on the drive allow dbpoweramp to fill the cache with other data before trying to reread the problem spots. This is slow, but effective.

3. Proper support and use of C2 error pointers can substantially reduce the amount of re-reading necessary to validate most audio data read from the CD (and this interacts with cache clearing strategies).

Summary:

1. You either want a drive that supports cache clearing (via FUA) or if not, one with the smallest cache you can find. The former is better. Be sure you set this option up correctly in dbpoweramp or you will get bad results.

2. Proper support of C2 errors makes all situations (with good cache control features or not) better, so you want a drive that properly supports C2 error pointers under dbpoweramp. Again, be sure you set this option up correctly in dbpoweramp or you will get bad results.

3. Don't expect advanced optical drive features like those above to work over a USB connection.

-brendan

Comment

• funkyblue
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2007

OK, I have done more tests on the Lite-On LH20A1P DVD Drive.

I have done a CD Speed Advance DAE Test, Tested and configured the drive with EAC and dBpoweramp CD Ripper.

According to CD Speed the drive can read into the leadin/out.

Code:
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Offset
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  0 bytes (0 samples)
                  Sequential Read Test
                  Average Speed: 34.01 X
                  Data errors: 0
                  Sync errors: 0

Random Read Test
                  Average Access Time:  119 ms
                  Data errors: 0
                  Sync errors: 0
                  Total Data Errors: 0
                  Total Sync Errors: 0
                  Quality Score: 100.0

CD Text
                  Drive is capable of reading CD Text information

Subchannel Data
                  Test 1
                    Track (01): 01
                    Relative position (01:05.00): 01:05.00
                    Absolute position (01:07.00): 01:07.00
                    Index (5): 5

Test 2
                    Track (17): 17
                    Relative position (01:33.00): 01:33.00
                    Absolute position (33:35.00): 33:35.00
                    Index (1): 1

Test 3
                    Track (36): 36
                    Relative position (00:00.00): 00:00.00
                    Absolute position (70:02.00): 70:02.00
                    Index (1): 1

Lead-in
                  Drive can read max. 148 sectors (-00:01.73) from the Lead-in

Lead-out
                  Drive can read max. 6749 sectors (-01:29.74) from the Lead-out

This is also confirmed by reading the last track on the cd in EAC and dBpoweramp (without Accuraterip)

In testing with dBpoweramp, it states the drive can use FUA and has no cache.
                  Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

It also confirmed that C2 is used by this drive.

I find using FUA substantially increased the read speed of the drive. I am fairly new to dBpoweramp and am unsure how much to trust its detection settings.

Cachex seems to crash my computer when I try and run it for this Lite-On. (Which is a pity)

usefua, did not have an effect in EAC. Drive was still found to use caching.

If I can kindly get some more help with verifying the testing I have done above, finding a way to test if the FUA command can really disable the cache and if C2 is ok or not, we could have found a very good drive for DAE. (It only cost me 45AUD).

Thanks everyone!

Scott (aka Funkyblue)
                  Last edited by funkyblue; January 03, 2008, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• funkyblue
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2007

Ok, time to get unexcited.

Code:
                    dBpoweramp Release 13 Digital Audio Extraction Log from Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:51 PM

Drive & Settings
                    ----------------

Ripping with drive 'E:   [LITE-ON  - DVDRW LH-20A1P  ]',  Drive offset: 6,  Overread Lead-in/out: Yes
                    AccurateRip: Active,  Using C2: Yes,  Cache: None,  FUA Cache Invalidate: Yes
                    Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max,  Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
                    Ultra::  Vary Drive Speed: No,  Min Passes: 3,  Max Passes: 6,  Finish After Clean Passes: 2
                    Bad Sector Re-rip::  Drive Speed: Max,  Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: Wave -compression="PCM"

Extraction Log
                    --------------

Track 1:  Ripped LBA 0 to 16500 (3:40) in 0:43. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\01 - INXS - New Sensation.wav
                      Secure  [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 3]
                      CRC32: DC4CCE6E	 AccurateRip CRC: 5E41AA72

Track 2:  Ripped LBA 16500 to 32700 (3:36) in 0:35. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\02 - Bros - I Owe You Nothing.wav
                      CRC32: 505129E1	 AccurateRip CRC: 71E140EB

Track 3:  Ripped LBA 32700 to 50612 (3:58) in 0:36. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\03 - Fischer Z - The Perfect Day.wav
                      CRC32: 55BCB734	 AccurateRip CRC: 27758C16

Track 4:  Ripped LBA 50612 to 64662 (3:07) in 0:27. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\04 - Cheap Trick - Don't Be Cruel.wav
                      CRC32: DD98AC69	 AccurateRip CRC: D6BE3863

Track 5:  Ripped LBA 64662 to 81512 (3:44) in 0:30. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\05 - Poison - Nothin' But a Good Time.wav
                      CRC32: E9C70AEC	 AccurateRip CRC: 76317F48

Track 6:  Ripped LBA 81512 to 99225 (3:56) in 0:30. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\06 - S-Express - Theme from S-Express.wav
                      CRC32: 58CBA452	 AccurateRip CRC: 79ED4941

Track 7:  Ripped LBA 99225 to 114900 (3:29) in 0:25. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\07 - Salt 'n Pepa - Push It.wav
                      CRC32: F1ED9A19	 AccurateRip CRC: 632E956F

Track 8:  Ripped LBA 114900 to 130992 (3:34) in 0:25. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\08 - Time Lords, the - Docotorin' the Tardis.wav
                      CRC32: DEC9B6C7	 AccurateRip CRC: 19A8E3CB

Track 9:  Ripped LBA 130992 to 146542 (3:27) in 0:23. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\09 - Dayne, Taylor - Prove Your Love.wav
                      CRC32: 1D9AEA5B	 AccurateRip CRC: CCA5FE54

Track 10:  Ripped LBA 146542 to 162842 (3:37) in 0:24. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\10 - Fairground Attraction - Perfect.wav
                      CRC32: 9EF7209D	 AccurateRip CRC: 8630928A

Track 11:  Ripped LBA 162842 to 181422 (4:07) in 0:26. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\11 - Tiffany - I Saw Him Standing There.wav
                      CRC32: 22092C79	 AccurateRip CRC: C31D328E

Track 12:  Ripped LBA 181422 to 202892 (4:46) in 0:29. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\12 - Carmen, Eric - Make Me Lose Control.wav
                      CRC32: C63D7845	 AccurateRip CRC: 3E5FED24

Track 13:  Ripped LBA 202892 to 218597 (3:29) in 0:20. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\13 - Hothouse Flowers - Don't Go.wav
                      CRC32: E78CF5F5	 AccurateRip CRC: E16920A5

Track 14:  Ripped LBA 218597 to 235912 (3:50) in 0:22. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\14 - Harrison, Jerry - Man With a Gun (Radio Edit).wav
                      CRC32: 7A7AD341	 AccurateRip CRC: B5C35A6E

Track 15:  Ripped LBA 235912 to 253740 (3:57) in 0:22. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\15 - John, Elton - I Don't Wanna Go on With You Like That.wav
                      CRC32: C5E34B18	 AccurateRip CRC: AE2C3BE1

Track 16:  Ripped LBA 253740 to 271450 (3:56) in 0:21. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\16 - 1927 - That's When I Think of You.wav
                      CRC32: EA84AF4D	 AccurateRip CRC: DE00DDE8

Track 17:  Ripped LBA 271450 to 294462 (5:06) in 0:27. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\17 - Farnham, John - Age of Reason.wav
                      CRC32: 61AE49A7	 AccurateRip CRC: C82A17EB

Track 18:  Ripped LBA 294462 to 314417 (4:26) in 0:23. Filename: c:\My Music\Various Artists - 88 the Winners\18 - Gibson, Debbie - Foolish Beat.wav
                      CRC32: FC7DC90A	 AccurateRip CRC: E4B940D5
                      ** Drive is unable to read into lead out, uncheck over-read option.

--------------

18 Tracks Ripped Securely

dBpoweramp Release 13 Digital Audio Extraction Log from Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:02 PM

Drive & Settings
                    ----------------

Ripping with drive 'E:   [LITE-ON  - DVDRW LH-20A1P  ]',  Drive offset: 6,  Overread Lead-in/out: Yes
                    AccurateRip: Active,  Using C2: Yes,  Cache: None,  FUA Cache Invalidate: Yes
                    Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max,  Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
                    Ultra::  Vary Drive Speed: No,  Min Passes: 3,  Max Passes: 6,  Finish After Clean Passes: 2
                    Bad Sector Re-rip::  Drive Speed: Max,  Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: Wave -compression="PCM"

Extraction Log
                    --------------

Track 1:  Ripped LBA 0 to 15932 (3:32) in 0:13. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\01 - Bros - I owe you nothing.wav
                      AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 1)	 [Pass 1]
                      CRC32: E7ED681F	 AccurateRip CRC: 84B5C852

Track 2:  Ripped LBA 15932 to 31595 (3:28) in 0:41. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\02 - Bananarama - Love in the first degree.wav
                      Insecure  [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 3, Re-Rip 19 Frames]
                      CRC32: 45AF82A2	 AccurateRip CRC: 8EA45D72
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30416 (00:03:13.120) matched 10 / 11
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30485 (00:03:14.040). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30486 (00:03:14.053). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30497 (00:03:14.200). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30509 (00:03:14.360). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30520 (00:03:14.506) matched 10 / 12
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30521 (00:03:14.520) matched 10 / 12
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30532 (00:03:14.666). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30555 (00:03:14.973). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30556 (00:03:14.986). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30578 (00:03:15.280). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30579 (00:03:15.293). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30590 (00:03:15.440) matched 10 / 13
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30613 (00:03:15.746) matched 10 / 11
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30614 (00:03:15.760) matched 10 / 11
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30823 (00:03:18.546) matched 10 / 11
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30893 (00:03:19.480) matched 10 / 12
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30939 (00:03:20.093). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)
                    	Re-rip Frame: 30940 (00:03:20.106). Insecure  (c2 dropped 34)

Track 3:  Ripped LBA 31595 to 48170 (3:41) in 0:08. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\03 - Chantoozies - Wanna be up.wav
                      CRC32: 4BD1D762	 AccurateRip CRC: CFCBCBC1

Track 4:  Ripped LBA 48170 to 68817 (4:35) in 0:09. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\04 - Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign your name.wav
                      CRC32: 62DAAFB2	 AccurateRip CRC: FEE17C35

Track 5:  Ripped LBA 68817 to 83737 (3:18) in 0:06. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\05 - Kylie Minogue - Got to be certain.wav
                      CRC32: 9AEA3F43	 AccurateRip CRC: 6D493F8F

Track 6:  Ripped LBA 83737 to 104842 (4:41) in 0:08. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\06 - Billy Ocean - Get outta my dreams, get into my car.wav
                      CRC32: ED618A49	 AccurateRip CRC: CDBBE80D

Track 7:  Ripped LBA 104842 to 117737 (2:51) in 0:05. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\07 - Bangles - Hazy shade of winter.wav
                      CRC32: EA0CBA42	 AccurateRip CRC: 55F5FB06

Track 8:  Ripped LBA 117737 to 135190 (3:52) in 0:06. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\08 - Michael Bolton - (Sittin' on) The dock of the bay.wav
                      CRC32: ADCF122D	 AccurateRip CRC: 008C82E8

Track 9:  Ripped LBA 135190 to 150255 (3:20) in 0:05. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\09 - Mel & Kim - That's the way it is.wav
                      CRC32: 8C1F21BF	 AccurateRip CRC: 3310C387

Track 10:  Ripped LBA 150255 to 167170 (3:45) in 0:06. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\10 - Poison - Nothin' but a good time.wav
                      CRC32: 4C4A390C	 AccurateRip CRC: 4EE9C444

Track 11:  Ripped LBA 167170 to 185840 (4:08) in 0:06. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\11 - The Choirboys - Run to paradise.wav
                      CRC32: 91021C2B	 AccurateRip CRC: A37FD77D

Track 12:  Ripped LBA 185840 to 205315 (4:19) in 0:06. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\12 - Jimmy Barnes - Too much ain't enough love.wav
                      CRC32: 35A16CCF	 AccurateRip CRC: DE6123E6

Track 13:  Ripped LBA 205315 to 222510 (3:49) in 0:05. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\13 - Big Pig - Breakaway.wav
                      CRC32: C33B93AD	 AccurateRip CRC: F5CB60E1

Track 14:  Ripped LBA 222510 to 243470 (4:39) in 0:06. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\14 - Cheap Trick - The Flame.wav
                      CRC32: 8F9E678C	 AccurateRip CRC: 05BE1B4D

Track 15:  Ripped LBA 243470 to 261680 (4:02) in 0:05. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\15 - Yazz & the Plastic Population - The only way is up.wav
                      CRC32: 2954E4E7	 AccurateRip CRC: 1DAEA5C5

Track 16:  Ripped LBA 261680 to 277662 (3:33) in 0:04. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\16 - The Timelords - Doctorin' the Tardis.wav
                      CRC32: FBAEADDD	 AccurateRip CRC: CA48E08A

Track 17:  Ripped LBA 277662 to 293880 (3:36) in 0:04. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\17 - Fairground Attraction - Perfect.wav
                      CRC32: 55F33E72	 AccurateRip CRC: 7B8A479D

Track 18:  Ripped LBA 293880 to 313275 (4:18) in 0:05. Filename: c:\My Music\ - Smash Hits 88\18 - The Eurogliders - Groove.wav
                      CRC32: FAE57746	 AccurateRip CRC: 25F8D540

--------------

18 Tracks Ripped: 17 Accurate, 1 Inaccurate

Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 1 from 25. May 2007

EAC extraction logfile from 3. January 2008, 22:07

Various / Smash Hits 88

Used drive  : LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P   Adapter: 0  ID: 1

Read mode			   : Secure
                    Utilize accurate stream : Yes
                    Defeat audio cache	  : Yes
                    Make use of C2 pointers : Yes

Read offset correction					  : 6
                    Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out		  : Yes
                    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
                    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks   : No
                    Used interface							  : Installed external ASPI interface
                    Gap handling								: Not detected, thus appended to previous track

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
                    Sample format	  : 44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

TOC of the extracted CD

Track |   Start  |  Length  | Start sector | End sector 
                    	---------------------------------------------------------
                    		1  |  0:00.00 |  3:32.32 |		 0	|	15931   
                    		2  |  3:32.32 |  3:28.63 |	 15932	|	31594   
                    		3  |  7:01.20 |  3:41.00 |	 31595	|	48169   
                    		4  | 10:42.20 |  4:35.22 |	 48170	|	68816   
                    		5  | 15:17.42 |  3:18.70 |	 68817	|	83736   
                    		6  | 18:36.37 |  4:41.30 |	 83737	|   104841   
                    		7  | 23:17.67 |  2:51.70 |	104842	|   117736   
                    		8  | 26:09.62 |  3:52.53 |	117737	|   135189   
                    		9  | 30:02.40 |  3:20.65 |	135190	|   150254   
                    	   10  | 33:23.30 |  3:45.40 |	150255	|   167169   
                    	   11  | 37:08.70 |  4:08.70 |	167170	|   185839   
                    	   12  | 41:17.65 |  4:19.50 |	185840	|   205314   
                    	   13  | 45:37.40 |  3:49.20 |	205315	|   222509   
                    	   14  | 49:26.60 |  4:39.35 |	222510	|   243469   
                    	   15  | 54:06.20 |  4:02.60 |	243470	|   261679   
                    	   16  | 58:09.05 |  3:33.07 |	261680	|   277661   
                    	   17  | 61:42.12 |  3:36.18 |	277662	|   293879   
                    	   18  | 65:18.30 |  4:18.45 |	293880	|   313274   

Track 18

Filename C:\music2005\VA - Smash Hits 88\18 - The Eurogliders - Groove.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
                    	 Track quality 100.0 %
                    	 Copy CRC 8F6730A5
                    	 Accurately ripped (confidence 1)  [25F8D540]
                    	 Copy OK

No errors occurred

End of status report
                    Why would dBpoweramp state that unless it was not true? EAC does not report an error on the last track and CD Speed reported the drive as being able to read into the leadin/out?

Comment

• funkyblue
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Oct 2007

Cachex is working now.

Code:
                      C:\cachex>cachex -i -c -p -k -w e:\

CacheExplorer 0.8 - spath@cdfreaks.com

Drive on E is  LITE-ON  DVDRW LH-20A1P   KL0N

[+] Buffer size: 2048 kB, read cache is enabled
                      [+] Supported read commands: BEh A8h(FUA) 28h(FUA) D4h(FUA) D5h(FUA) D8h(FUA)
                      [+] Plextor flush command: accepted
                      [+] Plextor flush tests: 5/5
                      [+] Testing cache line size:
                       604 kB / 263 sectors
                       604 kB / 263 sectors
                       604 kB / 263 sectors
                       604 kB / 263 sectors
                       588 kB / 256 sectors
                      [+] Testing cache line numbers:
                       1 1 1 1 1
                      [+] Testing cache disabling: not supported

Comment

• funkyblue
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2007

My last reply for the night.

Testing about 5 cd's using EAC and dBpoweramp. Read the last track of the five disc with EAC and dBpoweramp. Once with leadin/leadout selected, and once without and the files were 100% bit identical when comparing the 4 versions. (Use WAV compare).

I am almost of the opinion dBpoweramp is wrong. I know from previous experience that if leadin/leadout was selected and the drive did not support it an error occur and the CRC's did not match.

In this case even if dBpoweramp is saying it is not supported, I am getting bit identical rips with or without leadin/leadout selected and dBpoweramp is listing them as secure, (same as EAC and no timing errors)

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

If the drive is failling to overread then it is failling, I have plextors which can overread no problems. It is a very simple SCSI call:

ReadAudioLBA

if fails then drive cannot read that section.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• funkyblue
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Oct 2007

Can you please be a bit more specific?

How can the rips be bit identical if the drive could not read into the leadin/out? Would there not be an error that changes the CRC?

Do you have any more advice on tests I can do and the testing I have done?
                            What about FUA? C2? I have tried with this drive and some help would be great.

Thanks

Comment

• paddlefoot
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by bhoar

3. Don't expect advanced optical drive features like those above to work over a USB connection.

-brendan
                              Well, I did say I was a noob :(

I guess I will have try firewire. My problem is that Dell core duo laptops are said to have trouble through firewire. Hopefully I don't have any issues. I am going to try the PX760A

Comment

Working...

]]>