title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Asset UPnP with WD MyCloud NAS?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victorthesecond
    • Feb 2017

Asset UPnP with WD MyCloud NAS?

Hi, I wonder if someone might advise me.....I have a Naim MuSo which streams music from t'internet and from my laptop. To do this, it uses UPnP and Naim advised me to install Asset on my laptop. This all works fine, but I have also been advised it is worth setting up a NAS drive. I have only the very basic Asset - I don't think there is any need for me to upgrade....unless someone gives me good reasons!

I have bought a WD "MyCloud" which is a single 2TB drive.

My very simple question is.....Once I've set the NAS drive up, and moved my music files across, can I then easily change Asset to look for files on the NAS drive instead of the laptop?

I know that will be a very basic question for many forum readers! But, I am not especially technically minded and just need all the support and assurance I can get!

Thanks in advance for your advice on this, and, indeed, for any other comments and suggestions you might feel able to offer!

Mike
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Asset UPnP with WD MyCloud NAS?

The idea of the NAS is to install Asset onto the NAS then you do not need the computer on all the time. It would be a backward step to copy the files from laptop to nas then have asset run on laptop fetching files from the NAS.

Unfortunately Asset will not install onto a WM MyCloud, QNAP is needed.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ac16161
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Mar 2012

I too bought a WD NAS a few years ago (a MyBook) and found that it really lacks versatility when it comes to installing software. With a fair amount of linux tinkering I got Minimserver installed but I understand for the MyCloud the level of technical effort to get Minim working is pretty extreme. Suggest you either use the supplied media server or if funds allow relegate the WD to backup duties and replace with something that has a front end which supports package installation. I like both Asset and Minimserver, the latter is more platform agnostic but Asset has some nice features.

Comment

• Victorthesecond
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Spoon
        The idea of the NAS is to install Asset onto the NAS then you do not need the computer on all the time. It would be a backward step to copy the files from laptop to nas then have asset run on laptop fetching files from the NAS.

Unfortunately Asset will not install onto a WM MyCloud, QNAP is needed.
        Hi, thanks for that. I only have the "free" version of Asset - do I need to upgrade if I use QNAP or, indeed, Synology which is another piece of advice I'm getting!

Thanks again

Mike

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

The choice is yours, if you need the extra features such as 'Newest Albums' you can upgrade.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ASF
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jun 2012

Spoon: I have also just "upgraded" to a new WD myCloud server. The LCD on the Sentinel DX4000 I had used previously (on which I used Asset uPnP with great success) failed and WD was no longer offering the Sentinel, so I couldn't just buy a new "shell" unit and reuse my hard drives. I have now learned that the myCloud server comes with v7.29 Twonky installed which interfaces with my Naim streamer, albeit in a rather clunky and inconsistent manner. Unfortunately, I have also learned that as per the link below, despite providing a unit with a preinstalled media server, WD clearly states that they will not support the Twonky server:

I would really like to go back to Asset uPnP. I noticed a new version on the Asset uPnP for QNAP. Can that version be installed on a WD myCloud server, or would I have t to a QNAP server?

Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

I do not believe Asset will install on to the WD myCloud NAS.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>