title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to save or recover Aaaet after Windows 10 update

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisletts
    • Sep 2016

How to save or recover Aaaet after Windows 10 update

(sorry for typo, the title should read '..save or recover Asset...'

Windows 10 did this before to me, and now it's done it again.
    Following the latest major Windows 10 update, it has cleared all my configuration settings including the browse tree that I took hours to set up.

Is there any way to recover these, and for the future is there no way to save these settings somewhere that Windows can't kill them ?
    Last edited by chrisletts; September 22, 2016, 03:37 PM.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: How to save or recover Aaaet after Windows 10 update

Did this occur after the Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary) Update?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

The settings are saved in %appdata%\dBpoweramp

Windwows should never clear this location as every app uses it. Perhaps your user account changed?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Actually one of my desktops just installed the Windows 10 Anniversary update, and Windows wiped the registry and %appdata%, it is like it is a fresh PC now.

Way to go Microsoft...
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
          Actually one of my desktops just installed the Windows 10 Anniversary update, and Windows wiped the registry and %appdata%, it is like it is a fresh PC now.

Way to go Microsoft...
          Is this behaviour the same for all your other non-Microsoft installed applications, or just Illustrate software?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Actually it seems that dBpoweramp is specifically targeted, only the %appdata%\dBpoweramp folder is cleaned, and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate

other software is fine (Asset was using that path also), PerfectTUNES is untouched.

Odd, very odd. It is not possible that dBpoweramp is being triggered to uninstall through the update, as these settings are specifically always left.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
              Actually it seems that dBpoweramp is specifically targeted, only the %appdata%\dBpoweramp folder is cleaned, and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate

other software is fine (Asset was using that path also), PerfectTUNES is untouched.

Odd, very odd. It is not possible that dBpoweramp is being triggered to uninstall through the update, as these settings are specifically always left.
              OK, very useful to know. Does seem very bizarre though.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

I update my dev machine now, I have taken backups of the specific locations and screenshots, lets see what happens...
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Cascascas
                  • Jun 2013

Same problem here. I am running Asset 5.2 as a local service from a non-admin user account. Asset was originally installed under Windows 7 before I upgraded to Windows 10. The settings were wiped out by the upgrade to Windows 10, and have been wiped out again by the recent major Windows 10 update.

I cannot locate the folder where the settings are located - clicking to open configuration folder in Explorer in Asset settings leads to a the following message from Windows - "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\ Roaming\dBpoweramp\uMiediaLibr.... is unavailable...". And indeed that folder does not exist if I try to browse to it.

I have a backup of my configuration folder settings files, but I can't locate the correct folder to put them in...

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

You would have to reinstall Asset and it will recreate that folder (it is created when Asset is running as a network service).

On further examination, it is not specifically Illustrates programs Microsoft are targeting, more the update to anniversary seems to roll back this appdata folder to an earlier state, other programs are affected also by it.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>