title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

May I ask that Asset recognise flc file type as FLAC?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbarnstijn
    • Sep 2009

May I ask that Asset recognise flc file type as FLAC?

I am porting the management of a large library of FLAC files from an ancient 25-year-old AMX CD media server system over to Asset. The AMX system stored those FLAC files with a ".flc" file type, instead of ".flac"

The FLAC files are stored on a Synology NAS which the AMX system can access. Keeping the AMX system running is needed to keep my family happy -- they use the old AMX system every day. I cannot change the file type to a different value without breaking the AMX software.

Would it be a big ask that Asset be upgraded to automatically recognise files ending with ".flc" as FLAC files when scanning a folder and building its database? That gives me the ability to test out Asset using the live media collection, while I run the AMX system in parallel with the same media files.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

--michael
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLIC_(file_format)

If we did that, then anyone with animation files would see them trying to be processed, it is a big no no.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mbarnstijn
      • Sep 2009

I understand that FLC is a file type that is also associated with animation files. File types are configurable in Asset, so I was thinking more along the lines of making it an option that can be turned on, user beware warnings included. There's a nice panel of all the file types that can be turned on with check boxes, perhaps it could be an additional check box there that puts up a warning if you click to turn it on?

--michael

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The decoders for Asset are also used in dBpoweramp, and if enabled for that extension, it would set Windows Explorer (on Windows) to try to read those files as audio tracks, and allow tagging. It is a massive can of worms.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mbarnstijn
          • Sep 2009

I was hoping that this could be a Synology Package exclusive for admins only. Ah, nevermind. I will duplicate the 1.65 terabytes of music, rename all 75,000+ files, and point Asset at that new folder of files.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Or find another lossless format which a 3 character extension which both asset and your other player can play.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mbarnstijn
              • Sep 2009

Converting to another format would be a significant task on that many files, but, yes, it would be a solution to my problem. The ancient AMX system handles only three formats: FLAC (with FLC extension), MP3 and WAV. WAV would be the only way to go for lossless. However, the AMX system cannot be told to scan a folder for files, so I can't scrub the thing clean and point it at a new folder full of WAV files and have it rebuild a new collection database. To switch to using WAV files I would have to edit the existing SQL database that the AMX system uses, and change all the FLC music file fields to WAV.

That's all moot as I've finished making a copy of all the FLC files, changed them to FLAC, and have got Synology Asset running using that new folder of FLAC files. Now I need to figure out if I can integrate Asset with a Savant music system.

I have a question about controlling Asset from other devices on my LAN: any suggestions for Android or iPad apps that work well? I've seen indications that people are using the Naim app, so I'm off to try that out, but if you've got a range of suggestions, I would love to know about it. I suspect that such information might also be useful in a sticky for those starting off with Asset?

Thanks,

--michael

Comment

Working...

]]>