title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Define "Separator" Character(s) for Multiple Field Tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spymaster
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Feb 2020

Originally posted by simbun

I have sent a reply but because it contains a link it's waiting for approval, and I don't know when that'll be so I'll include a copy of it here.

Are you sure the control points are displaying the first track artist and not the AlbumArtist?

There are a number of poor UPnP control points that display the wrong artist tag (AlbumArtist vs Artist). One way to address that is to apply [SimpleArtist] in Settings Override (Google 'asset upnp dlna configuration' and scroll to the bottom of the page) which tells Asset to send only the track artists alongside the track listing.
    No, they're not showing the album tag, because in some cases that will also consist of multiple artists, or be "Various Artists" or whatever

Escape from New York, for example: Both the album artists and tracks artists are tagged as "John Carpenter; Alan Howarth" but the Cambridge only returns "John Carpenter" during playback. If it was finding the album artist it would presumably show both names.

Similarly if the album artist is "Various artists" but track 10 is "Artist 1; Artist 2" or "Artist 1 feat. Artist 2" then only "Artist 1" is displayed, not "Various Artists".

Last edited by Spymaster; July 14, 2024, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• vilsen
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Spymaster
      the Cambridge only returns "John Carpenter" during playback
      I tested the Cambridge 851N last year, you can see the result here, post #10.

It displays differently depending on the file format. In the case of flac you have to transcode to wav and delete ALBUM ARTIST, otherwise it only shows a single artist pulled directly from the flac files. It's indeed a crappy device, advertised as an UPnP compatible player while it's actually not!

I think it's the same story with all Cambidge models that share the same firmware.

Comment

• vilsen
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2018

I tested the Cambridge 851N last year, you can see the result in the link below, post #10.

In my ongoing attempt to tidy up my artist database, I've been slowly dividing multiple "album artists" and "track artists" with a semi-colon "; " rather than a ", " or "&". This works brilliantly when searching for, or browsing artists with Hi-Fi Cast and Cambridge Audio's

It displays differently depending on the file format. In the case of flac you have to transcode to wav and delete ALBUM ARTIST, otherwise it only shows a single artist pulled directly from the flac files. It's indeed a crappy device, advertised as an UPnP compatible player while it's actually not!

I think it's the same story with all Cambidge models that share the same firmware.

Comment

• vilsen
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jul 2018

Double posted because of two ways to post a link, but they still have to be approved... And I'm not authorized to edit my own posts!

Comment

• vilsen
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jul 2018

I tested the Cambridge 851N last year and posted in another thread. The forum doesn't approve my links at the moment, and the Wrap [CODE] function doesn't work properly so I cannot copy my results from the other thread here. In the meantime, I'll copy & paste the rest of my post here:

The results showed that the 851N displays differently depending on the file format. In the case of flac you have to transcode to wav and delete ALBUM ARTIST, otherwise it only shows a single artist pulled directly from the flac files. It's indeed a crappy device, advertised as an UPnP compatible player while it's actually not!

I think it's the same story with all Cambidge models that share the same firmware.​

Comment

• simbun
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Apr 2021

Originally posted by vilsen
              Double posted because of two ways to post a link, but they still have to be approved... And I'm not authorized to edit my own posts!
              Was your post to say that this has been discussed previously, which I've just realised myself, although that was with respect to the screen display wasn't it?

I'm going to get my hands on an MXN10 Mon/Tues to see what the StreamMagic app looks like.

Comment

• simbun
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Apr 2021

The results showed that the 851N displays differently depending on the file format. In the case of flac you have to transcode to wav and delete ALBUM ARTIST, otherwise it only shows a single artist pulled directly from the flac files. It's indeed a crappy device, advertised as an UPnP compatible player while it's actually not!
                That's the thread that's now missing a lot of my posts :-(

Do multiple artists show in the StreamMagic app when browsing a track listing?

Comment

• Spymaster
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Feb 2020

Yes. When browsing a track listing, every artist is displayed correctly. It's only when playing a track that only "Artist 1" is displayed (both in the app itself and on the player's front display).

I'm using a Cambridge CXN V2 by the way.

Comment

• vilsen
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jul 2018

Was your post to say that this has been discussed previously, which I've just realised myself, although that was with respect to the screen display wasn't it?
                    It was about the screen display, yes. I was just trying to include a link twice, then gave up and posted my text without link. The 2 unapproved posts are redundant now and can be deleted by admin, please.

I'm going to get my hands on an MXN10 Mon/Tues to see what the StreamMagic app looks like.
                    Very interesting!

Yes. Hard to follow now when your posts are missing.

Yes. When browsing a track listing, every artist is displayed correctly. It's only when playing a track that only "Artist 1" is displayed (both in the app itself and on the player's front display).

I'm using a Cambridge CXN V2 by the way.
                    It's the same with 851N if using flac/mp3 (but wav/aiff is different).
                    I think you'll see the same with the MXN10, but let's see!

But this is not really what the OP was asking about. Perhaps best to continue the Cambridge-related stuff in the previous thread? I'm not sure.

Comment

• simbun
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Apr 2021

I've just spent a couple of hours with the MNX10 and I've got to say I'm a little disappointed.

From a StreamMagic perspective:
                      • No UPnP search just a filter once you've selected an index
                      • Add to presets doesn't work after rescans (to be expected as they're storing internal browsing IDs)
                      • No shuffle/Enqueue from indexes
                      • Now Playing popup is really annoying
                      • Doesn't show discsubtitles/works (essentially albums within albums)

When testing a renderer I play an album that consists of tracks X seconds in length (that I've created from existing tracks) to test its gapless playback performance. When using the StreamMagic app tracks of 2 seconds were fine, but when playing from BubbleUPnP I couldn't even get 10 second tracks to play correctly. In contrast both WiiM and Sonos can handle 2 second tracks and the other software renderers I use (Ropieee and Volumio) about 4. I haven't yet tested at what point it is stable as I'll need to generate some longer tracks.

Anyway, I hadn't appreciated that the "Artist" problem was on the now playing screen too!

I don't know how this has ben raised with Cambridge Audio, but the fix is to use the metadata that's been supplied by the server and not to pull it from the file at all. I guess most will only see the Artist problem, but I use Assets preformat functionality so for me album and title are also wrong.

It seems that the [SimpleArtist] override (which has yet to be released to stable) does help the situation somewhat, as all you need to do now is transcode to WAV and the real metadata will be shown (without the override it displayed AlbumArtist).

Code:
                      =Android/14 UPnP/1.0 StreamMagic/2.14.0
                      [NoAssetPrependTrackNum]
                      [NoAssetTrackWantFrontArtist]
                      [NoAssetTrackWantEndArtist]
                      [NoAssetAlbumArtist]
                      [SimpleArtist]
                      The need for the other overrides was discussed in this thread, which now makes no sense given my missing posts.

I might try and listen to it at some point

Comment

• vilsen
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jul 2018

When using the StreamMagic app tracks of 2 seconds were fine, but when playing from BubbleUPnP I couldn't even get 10 second tracks to play correctly.
                        I'm not surprised, since Cambridge streamers seem to be tailored to the StreamMagic app. Most (all?) of them don't work with Asset Control at all, they just keep skipping the tracks after 10 seconds.

It seems that the [SimpleArtist] override (which has yet to be released to stable) does help the situation somewhat, as all you need to do now is transcode to WAV and the real metadata will be shown (without the override it displayed AlbumArtist).
                        Great news that [SimpleArtist] works to hinder the MXN10 from displaying ALBUM ARTIST. Let's hope it works for the other Cambridge models too - there's a good chance since they share the same StreamMagic firmware.

I presume that you tested with flac files on the MXN10? If so, and without having tested [SimpleArtist] on the 851N, I dare to guess that all Cambridge streamers display flac like this on the now playing screen (unit & app):

1. Normally they display a single ARTIST, pulled from the flac files
                        2. If you transcode they display multiple ALBUM ARTIST (if available, else ARTIST), provided by Asset
                        3. If you also do [SimpleArtist] they display multiple ARTIST, provided by Asset

I'll test my buddy's 851N to confirm the [SimpleArtist] part as soon as Asset R2024 for windows is released.

Comment

• simbun
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Apr 2021

I presume that you tested with flac files on the MXN10? If so, and without having tested [SimpleArtist] on the 851N, I dare to guess that all Cambridge streamers display flac like this on the now playing screen (unit & app):

1. Normally they display a single ARTIST, pulled from the flac files
                          2. If you transcode they display multiple ALBUM ARTIST (if available, else ARTIST), provided by Asset
                          3. If you also do [SimpleArtist] they display multiple ARTIST, provided by Asset
                          Yes I tested with FLAC.

You're right with your description, but just to add a little detail:

1. 'FLAC as is' displays the first artist from the artist tag of the file.

2. 'FLAC as WAV' interestingly seems to fire a unique branch of code that displays the first <upnp:artist> tag sent by the server.

Asset sends the artist tags in the following order:
                          Code:
                          <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist">Elton John</upnp:artist>
                          <upnp:artist>Elton John; Dua Lipa</upnp:artist>
                          MinimServer sends the track artist first as it's more compatible with poor control points:
                          Code:
                          <upnp:artist>Elton John, Dua Lipa</upnp:artist>
                          <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist">Elton John</upnp:artist>
                          StreamMagic in this scenario seems to pull the first <upnp:artist> tag it encounters, so for Asset it's AlbumArtist(s) but for MinimServer it's Track Artist(s).

3. [SimpleArtist]

This causes Asset to only send Track Artist, so StreamMagic has no choice.
                          Code:
                          <upnp:artist>Elton John; Dua Lipa</upnp:artist>

I'm so glad BubbleUPnP exists :-)

Comment

• Spymaster
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Feb 2020

So, does [SimpleArtist] fix the whole Cambridge problem then? If so, I have two questions:

1. Where is the setting? I can't find it anywhere...
                            2. Does this stop the AlbumArtist (and possibly things like Composer) from being sent across entirely? If so, does that not mess with AlbumArtist views and searches, and also provide far less metadata for apps that DO work properly, like Hi-Fi Cast?
                            Last edited by Spymaster; July 16, 2024, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• simbun
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Apr 2021

So, does [SimpleArtist] fix the whole Cambridge problem then?
                              You first need to strip the metadata from the file being served so the streamer can't get it directly. To do this you need to configure Asset to transcode to WAV/LPCM (under Audio Format Streaming). The only issue with this is that all your files will now appear as PCM in the app, although you may be able to add it back somewhere using PREFORMAT logic.

1. Where is the setting? I can't find it anywhere...
                              Under Advanced Settings you should see 'Settings Override (Control Point Specific)'. [SimpleArtist] is yet to make it to stable so to try it you'll need to install the beta.

2. Does this stop the AlbumArtist (and possibly things like Composer) from being sent across entirely? If so, does that not mess with AlbumArtist views and searches, and also provide far less metadata for apps that DO work properly, like Hi-Fi Cast?
                              The change is only to the track listing, but if you do have a control point that displays Composer at the track level then it'll likely disappear, but remember, these settings are control point specific, as long as you configure it correctly it'll only affect the one app.

Comment

• simbun
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Apr 2021

I'm not surprised, since Cambridge streamers seem to be tailored to the StreamMagic app. Most (all?) of them don't work with Asset Control at all, they just keep skipping the tracks after 10 seconds.
                                If you proxy the Cambridge streamer using BubbleUPnP Server it seems to work fine, at least the MXN10 does.

Comment

Working...

]]>