title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Alternatives now Sonos have discarded DLNA compatibility

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bventure
    • Dec 2017

Alternatives now Sonos have discarded DLNA compatibility

I have used Asset UPnP for years with my Sonos speakers, but they have now forced a Sonos app update which has destroyed most of the functionality it had, and made it virtually unusable. It now says 'not available' for my Asset connection, and they will not allow reversion to an earlier working version. So goodbye forever Sonos! Can someone suggest sone good alternatives to my Sonos speakers to play my music (which is stored on external USB drives), bearing in mind I am no expert in this field? Thanks.
  • simbun
    • Apr 2021

I've just tried Asset in Sonos (with latest firmware but 16.1 app) and it's not possible to enqueue an album, only tracks. Was it possible before the firmware update?

I've had a couple of Play 1 speakers for years now and use them as UPnP renderers in a UPnP setup as I've always found the Sonos app lacking. The only thing I need the Sonos app for is to group or stereo pair the speakers. If you're on Android there's a very good app called BubbleUPnP; if you're on iOS you can try mconnect but it's much more limited. If you have stereo pairs/groups you need to make sure that you play to the master speaker.

Whilst it's disgraceful what they've done to their customers with this app "upgrade" the speakers are actually quite open, unlike BluOS.

Comment

• bventure
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by simbun
      I've just tried Asset in Sonos (with latest firmware but 16.1 app) and it's not possible to enqueue an album, only tracks. Was it possible before the firmware update?

I've had a couple of Play 1 speakers for years now and use them as UPnP renderers in a UPnP setup as I've always found the Sonos app lacking. The only thing I need the Sonos app for is to group or stereo pair the speakers. If you're on Android there's a very good app called BubbleUPnP; if you're on iOS you can try mconnect but it's much more limited. If you have stereo pairs/groups you need to make sure that you play to the master speaker.

Whilst it's disgraceful what they've done to their customers with this app "upgrade" the speakers are actually quite open, unlike BluOS.
      My phone is iOS but I usually use my Windows laptop to play on Sonos, precisely because on this you can select all the tracks in an album (CTRL +A) and play the whole album rather than the tedious business of adding track by track on the iOS app. I only ever used the phone if I couldn't be bothered to start up the laptop. The Windows App was always much better than the iOS app, probably because they couldn't be bothered to update it and left it alone, so all the stuff still works. No problem with the speakers, it's just the apps have always been terrible and the latest is the worst ever. I'll have a look at mconnect, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• Vim_Fuego
        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by bventure
        I have used Asset UPnP for years with my Sonos speakers, but they have now forced a Sonos app update which has destroyed most of the functionality it had, and made it virtually unusable. It now says 'not available' for my Asset connection, and they will not allow reversion to an earlier working version. So goodbye forever Sonos! Can someone suggest sone good alternatives to my Sonos speakers to play my music (which is stored on external USB drives), bearing in mind I am no expert in this field? Thanks.

Sonos was never really that good, like Apple, they have average products, but throw lots of money at influencers and product placement to get to the front, and then use that to cruise.

I would recommend a HEOS based system.

Comment

Working...

]]>