title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WHS 2011: Running Asset UPnp as DNLA server at boot?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g725s
    • Jul 2010

WHS 2011: Running Asset UPnp as DNLA server at boot?

I would like to find a DNLA server that can run on WHS 2011 to serve and transcode my FLAC collection via DNLA to my Onkyo reciever, without having to be logged into a user account. Also want lossless to lossless transcoding, not FLAC to MP3.

I have tried Foobar2000 with the UPnP/DNLA component on a client PC and my WHS2011 box, but you are required to be logged-in to the user account in order to have the DNLA working.

Will Asset UPnP be able to do what I want? I see a comment that Asset UPnP is available in the Dashboard(so I'm assuming it might work without being logged in on the WHS2011 computer), can anyone provide a good link with more details on this?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that DNLA does not support FLAC and therefore need to be transcoded to WAV if you want lossless to lossless play of FLAC audio files. Again I just want an always available media server for my FLAC collection to my Onkyo receiver via DNLA. And I want only lossless to lossless transcoding.

My Onkyo receiver will play FLAC via a thumb drive or external drive via usb but I have a large collection of FLAC that I'd like to serve to my receiver via my WHS 2011 box which has the storage capacity for my FLAC collection and regretfully DNLA is the only option I'm aware of to serve those files over my local network to my receiver.
    Last edited by g725s; April 13, 2015, 06:49 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: WHS 2011: Running Asset UPnp as DNLA server at boot?

By default Asset will run at boot. FLAC can be transcoded to wave if not supported by the player.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• g725s
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
      By default Asset will run at boot. FLAC can be transcoded to wave if not supported by the player.

Maybe I should try Asset then.

I tried to get Foobar2000 w/DNLA component to run at boot using Task Scheduler but that killed both instances of DNLA that were available while logged in, and even killed the Foobar2000 program completely when logged in.
      It was my understanding that DNLA cannot handle FLAC. If I put FLAC in my WHS2011 Shared Folders which show on DNLA they are empty. However, WAV shows up. And reading up I read that FLAC needs to be transcoded to WAV if you want Lossless on the receiving end. My Onkyo player does play FLAC via usb. But that is not really too practical for me. I'd like to have the files play over the network via DNLA.

So I should install the version of Asset for WHS2011?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Your choice
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>