title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Asset UPnP uses too much RAM?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MusicMad
    • Dec 2014

Asset UPnP uses too much RAM?

Hi, First posting and maybe my query is similar to another re: QNAP119P where Asset freezes but in case not:

Set-up:
    QNAP 419P11 NAS with 4x Seagate 2TB ST2000VN000 drives - Raid 6
    Windows 7 PC

approx.35-40% of HDDs utilised: music FLAC + data backups, etc.

Servers:
    QNAP's own (disabled - it's useless)
    Twonky: good but slow
    Logitech Media Server: good, but limited in access re: artists
    MinimServer: very good but it needs modifications to gain better library access
    AssetUPnP (PC version): very good but being PC based it has limitations and I haven't found a way to disable the (very annoying) treatment of "The"
    AssetUPnP (NAS): easily the best for me ... but ...

AssetUPnP uses up almost all of the RAM and at times the music just stops. I have to wait 5 - 20 mins (I hear the NAS churning away) and then it will be accessible again. This happens mostly (always?) when I'm modifying music tags - and maybe when just importing new music. I have learned from trial and error (experience) that if I start amending tags (I use Tag&Rename) I will see the RAM usage on the QNAP Process page shoot up to 85% plus (orange) and when it goes red the music is likely to stop.

And whilst I can re-start music play after a short period of time, the only way to clear this high usage of RAM is to re-boot the NAS.

But I've recently found that if I disable the AssetUPnP app on the NAS the problem disappears. Only, that means I don't have this - favourite - server.

I don't think the RAM is expandable on this model QNAP.

Cheers, thanks for reading,
    Mitch
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Asset UPnP uses too much RAM?

How much memory has your QNAP? How many tracks do you have?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MusicMad
      • Dec 2014

From QNAP's System Status / System Information: this shows Total memory: 503.4 MB

No. of tracks ... now: 47,271 (due to be increased perhaps with 50,000 as my self-imposed maximum )
      807GB
      47,484 Files
      5,665 Folders

Thanks for the swift response,
      Mitch

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I think for this amount of tracks, 512MB is quite low.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MusicMad
          • Dec 2014

Ah, well ... shame.

As a work around I suppose I shall leave Asset UPnP disabled whilst I'm adding tracks and/or amending tags and re-enable it during "quiet" periods.

Thank you for the consideration.

Mitch.

Comment

Working...

]]>