title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Incorrect Artists Appearing Under "V" in Artist / Album Sort

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Milwauke
    • Mar 2013

Incorrect Artists Appearing Under "V" in Artist / Album Sort

I use Asset with NAIM's n-Stream control and couldn't be more pleased with Asset v4.1 Registered. The only glitch I'm having is that when using the Artist/Album search, certain artists are appearing under "V" that don't belong there alphabetically (Dizzy Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker et al). The tags for these artists' albums look normal (I use db for tags and ripping). Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? Thanks.
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: Incorrect Artists Appearing Under "V" in Artist / Album Sort

Any artistsort or album artist sort tags?

Comment

• Milwauke
      • Mar 2013

I've checked for any sort tags and have removed any that existed, so I don't think that's the issue. My suspicion is that a number at the end of an album title was causing Asset to put the artist in V for Various as if it was a compilation, but removing numbers from the end of an album (eg Live in 1962), didn't solve it and the artists are simply listed under V and not Various. The Artists being listed under V were part of a large compilation at one point, but I removed the Artist tags on that compilation and changed them all to Various Artists.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

I don't know what sort of files you are using, but here's a recent thread from elsewhere, where the poster couldn't find any ARTISTSORT type tags in the files using normal methods, but eventually did find some odd sort field buried in the file. And removing those fixed his odd sorting problem.

Comment

• Milwauke
          • Mar 2013

Thanks for all of the help. I didn't discover any unusual tags through other metadata editors -- everything I've ripped has been with iTunes or db. I think the problem was a large compilation of jazz artists that was causing Asset to list those artists under V...I had removed the artists names and changed them to Various Artists, but Asset wasn't picking up the change...until about an hour ago. It took me a few Refresh Alls to get there. Still trying to figure out how to get Compliations tagged properly...I've followed advice on the forums (Compilation set to 1, Album Artist set to Various Artists, buy n-Stream continues to show the individual artists in the standard Artist / Album search.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The way sort tags work, it just needs one file with the same artist to set the sort tags for all other tracks.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Milwauke
              • Mar 2013

I think I'm very close here. I'm finding that it's easier to use the Album Artist tag for various artists - my control point picks that up immediately, as opposed to sort handling, which seems hit or miss. One more question: if I search by Album Artist and an album only has an Artist tag, will Asset read the Artist tag instead? Thanks, Asset is really a wonderful system and a joy to use - it will truly be perfect once I have this sorted out.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

No, if you only have artist set, it would not appear under album artist.

You can disable the sorting option in Asset on the advanced options page of the configuration program.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Milwauke
                  • Mar 2013

Getting closer here, and thanks for all of the help thus far. With the Asset sorting option set to "Use Sort To Order Display," I can set a Sort Artists tag (on a compilation artist, for example) to Various Artists and the artists will no longer appear alphabetically. However, those artists are now appearing under "V" as individual artists instead of under Various Artists. Any other thoughts here as I feel like I'm just one step away at this point? Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Try disabling the Sort option completely, the tracks will appear exactly in the location as the artist name.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Milwauke
                      • Mar 2013

Thanks for your continued assistance, and hope I'm not being a pest here My goal is to have Compilation artists listed under Various Artists in "V" and not listed alphabetically by their artist name. With "Use Sort To Order Display," those artists are removed from their alphabetical listing. But, they're all being placed under "V" instead of Various Artists, even though the Sort Artist tag is Various Artists. When I disabled the Sort Order altogether, the artists simply appeared under their alphabetical listing again....So, I'm half-way there. With Sort to Order Display enabled, I've got compilation artists out of their alphabetical listing, thus cleaning up my Artist list. But those artists are listed haphazardly under V.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

You would set Album Artist to 'Various Artists', then browse Advanced Search >> Album Artist
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Milwauke
                          • Mar 2013

Thanks, I think using Album Artist for searches instead of Artist solves this for me completely. With Album Artist, I can simply set that field to "Various Artists" for compilation artists, and Asset groups it all correctly. Perhaps it would be nice if under the Artists search, Asset grouped all artists with a "Various Artists" Album Artists tag AND a Compilation 1 setting under the Various Artists category. In any case, thanks again!

Comment

Working...

]]>