title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

V4 transcoding flac-multichannel to LPCM

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamar25
    • May 2012

V4 transcoding flac-multichannel to LPCM

I just installed Asset UPnP v4 to try, and wanted to transcode 5.1 Flac to 5.1 LPCM to output on my Samsung BD-C6900 BD player, since it doesn't support Flac playback. Despite I selected Flac as LPCM in Asset Advanced Settings, and left Any Bits / Frequencies / Channels, it streams 2-channel LPCM, at least based on the audible output from Samsung 7.1 Analog RCA Out to my Onkyo Receiver with 7.1 Analog Audio In.

Why this happens, and how to fix? There was a similar report for v3 classified as bug by the developer:

V3 transcoding flac-multichannel to LPCM broken

Also, in what directory Asset UPnP saves transcoded files, and how I can check the transcoded file media info? And where Asset UpNP saves its streaming & transcoding Logs? I activated logging, but only found installation log in program dir, and no other folders in user dirs.

Other issues:

- how to view on TV screen the content of CUE Sheet (a CD playlist) for a multitrack Flac streamed as LPCM? I was assuming that Asset UPnP being only Audio Streaming Server does support CUE Sheets in contrast with generic popular servers like Serviio
    - why only one out of several folders with Flac albums is shown under a certain Artist? While other folders can be found elsewhere (in All Tracks) despite having similar folder name structure?
    - how I can block content sorting when adding a new HD folder to Audio Library? I just want to see on TV the unchanged folder I added, and browse through it manually instead of looking through presorted artist lists, etc. This is especially handy for temporary added folders for program testing.

Can you provide a link (send PM) to download Asset UpNp v2.1? I want to test it with my Samsung player to see if the player in fact supports multichannel LPCM playback via LAN. Pls don't ignore this request. What multichannel Flac-to-LPCM Converter would you suggest?
    Last edited by zamar25; May 30, 2012, 02:11 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: V4 transcoding flac-multichannel to LPCM

LPCM transcoding is 2 channel only.

There is no folder where transcoding is done as it happens on the fly in memory.

CUE sheets are not supported.

Advanced Search >> File and Folder browsing is what you are after.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
      LPCM transcoding is 2 channel only.
      I this a limitation in dBpoweramp or the DLNA specification?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

DLNA as far as I know.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• zamar25
          • May 2012

So what will happen, if your program transcodes to 5.1 LPCM - the Earth will explode? DLNA Guidelines are set to archive better interoperability, but they are voluntary and don't mean to prevent software developers from offering better specs to users of devices which support better specs. Leave this to a user to decide, if it doesn't play in 5.1 - then be it, but why do YOU need to interfere between user and its own hardware? You can explain in Help that not all devices can play certain formats - it will happen anyway, no matter how restrictive a spec is due to wide variety and fast progress in hardware advancements making such specs long obsolete. In addition, there is a lot of money play in these artificial restrictions from CD industry tycoons.

Why in v2.1 transcoding LPCM was multichannel, and no-one complained, but people like me and the author of above linked post are still looking for this version, that you refuse even to comment about, despite many developers provide links to previous soft versions.

As to File and Folder Browsing, it looks like it gives the same choice of presorted folders, but no original hard drive folder that I added to the library - its not listed.
          Last edited by zamar25; May 30, 2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

You would have to tell asset to rescan if it has not picked it up.

Actually looking at the spec 5.1 lpcm should be possible, perhaps for a later release.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• zamar25
              • May 2012

Well, I was under (apparently wrong) impression that Asset UPnP is known to be first and foremost UPnP AV standard compliant, and can also offer optional DLNA compliant restrictions to users of less capable hardware. Apparently, its all twisted now to comply with financial tycoons play despite its voluntary, and can indeed be offered merely as an option. Hope, later release means 4.1 rather than 7.2.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
                Actually looking at the spec 5.1 lpcm should be possible, perhaps for a later release.
                Look forward to it! :smile2: sooner rather than later

Comment

• zamar25
                  • May 2012

I was trying to get multichannel LPCM via WASAPI Audio Card Output (several different output modes), and Asset UpNP v4 can play only 2-channel output from WASAPI, but can't decode 5.1 channel Flac played on Foobar2000 and output via WASAPI. So it looks like the author imposed global limitation to limit lossless multichannel playback to Stereo. Was Sony asking for that?

May I suggest don't bury PC Folders so deep in Advanced Search, but show them on the top level, since library import has obvious bags. Only one of several similarly named folders of the same singer was imported under his name, and the rest was extremely hard and long to find in media library.
                  Last edited by zamar25; June 01, 2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>