title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Skin Designer and Z-Order query

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Narler
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

Skin Designer and Z-Order query

Hi Spoon,

I understand the concept behind the Z-Order, however in the last skin I've made (Roland TB-303), something interesting seems to be occuring and I thought you may be able to shed some light on it?

As an example i'll use the below pic (all windows are Locked to Primary, and NONE are set Top Most)

BLACK is Skin1
    RED is Skin2
    BLUE is Skin3

I set Skin1 to Z-Order 5 and Show While to <showalways>
    I set Skin2 to Z-Order 1 and Show While to <USERa>
    I set Skin3 to Z-Order 1 and Show While to <USERb>

Ok, now it gets interesting, if I have 2 buttons set to toggle open Skin2 and Skin3, the following happens.

Click open Skin3. Skin3 is ontop
    Click open Skin2, Skin2 is ontop
    Click Close Skin3, Skin2 is still ontop
    Click Close skin2, Skin1 is ontop.

That is fine. BUT.

Click open Skin2, Skin2 is ontop
    Click open Skin3, Skin2 is STILL ontop? No skin3 ?

I would have assumed that skins of equal Z-Order, the last accessed one would take priority?.

This gets even more bizarre if I take it another step.

YELLOW is skin4
    GREEN is skin5

I set Skin4 to Z-Order 1 and Show While to <USERc>
    I set Skin5 to Z-Order 1 and Show While to <USERd>

Click open Skin3, skin3 is ontop
    Click open Skin4, Skin4 is ontop BUT skin1 was displayed first?
    Click Close Skin4, and Skin1 is ontop ?

Any thoughts on what is causing this? If you wish to see what I mean, download my Roland TB-303 Skin from either
    Razgo's MultiMedia Site, or my Downloads Page

*edited*
    You may get slightly different results to what i posted above as after the z-order-skin test I made i have updated the roland tb-303 skin and now last skin made takes priority, even when all skins have identical Z-Order.
    *end edit*

At first I thought it may have been due to the way the Skin Designer assigns viewing priority. I'll explain, if I create Skin1, then I create Skin2, then I create Skin3. If I now move Skin1 over Skin3, skin1 will be placed behind Skin3. Last skin made in the Skin Designer seems to always be most visible?

I have tested this in Release 1 of DAP and also Beta 2 Release 4, same thing occurs on both.

I have another query on multiple skins, so to make it easier i'll make that a seperate post.

*Edited*

Ok, what i've done to make it easier for you to see how this Z-Order is confusing, I've made a skin that does 4 tests (read the associated text file to understand the tests)

The skin looks like this:

You can download the skin from HERE

Each test has 4 buttons, and on the click of each button, the colours as per the above images will be placed ontop of the assocated background white pic. Each test uses a different Z-Order configuration and you will see clearly what's going on. the tests show that even 2 tests using the same identical z-order style (ie all colours same z-order) produce DIFFERENT results.

Any and all feedback is most welcome.

*end edit*

Thanks in advance.
    Narler
    Last edited by Narler; May 09, 2002, 06:02 AM.
Working...

]]>