title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to convert from FLAC to ALAC via command line

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coldthroat
    • Jul 2009

How to convert from FLAC to ALAC via command line

Hi all,

I've recently started using foobar2000 along with iPod Manager (foo_dop), and since my music library is entirely FLAC, I'm looking to keep the files as lossless when they get to my iPod, which means that I need to convert them to ALAC.

dBpoweramp is certainly easy enough to use when it comes to converting FLAC to ALAC using the GUI, but I get a bit confused when it's time to use the CLI, especially with the constraints given (found here).

What I've been trying is:
    Encoder: CoreConverter.exe
    Parameters: -infile=- -outfile=%d -convert_to="Apple Lossless"
    Extension: m4a

But these settings give me an error message that simply says "GetStdHandle". The error message could very well be a bug in the iPod Manager, but I wanted to see if there was anything else I could try on this end before I start reporting bugs over there.

On a side note, I found this page, which has the section on what to do in the case of using STDIN, but since those additional parameters aren't necessarily constant and the iPod manager is meant to run batch conversions, I'm not sure how to obtain those parameters from each file on the fly.

It would also be really nice if the conversion would keep metadata for each file, but one step at a time, eh? :smile:

So what do you all think? Do these settings look alright, or is there something I'm doing wrong or something else I might be able to try?

Thanks for all your help.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How to convert from FLAC to ALAC via command line

With Stdin you will not have metadata, if possible pass infile as a real audio file.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• lyzkov
      • Mar 2012

Re: How to convert from FLAC to ALAC via command line

It is possible in ipod manager to add custom converter that use encoder that doesn't support pipes. Simply add -infile="%s" to specify temporary input file. It works fine but least thing that I struggle is how to add vst plugin with very long binary data? It seems that command just become too long for windows. If anyone have idea how to fix it, please share it.
      Last edited by lyzkov; March 30, 2012, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>