title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Best Practices for avoiding Microsoft's DMA -> PIO feature?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Best Practices for avoiding Microsoft's DMA -> PIO feature?

Spoon et al,

As we're all aware, Microsoft's ATA driver has a built in feature to step down the interface speed to ATA/IDE-attached drives moving from the normal speed (usually one of the fastest UDMA speeds, down through slower DMA approaches, down into the slowest PIO approach). The original purpose of this feature was to work around issues with poorly made or out of spec ATA cables that were plaguing PC hardware. An unfortunate side effect is that scratched or otherwise hard to read optical discs give off very similar symptoms from the driver's point of view.

In addition, as discussions here and elsewhere have shown, alternate connection strategies (USB, firewire and even in some cases SATA) often lead to a situation where software cannot properly use drive features such as C2 detection/flags, cache detection and/or cache bypass when supported.

So, some are determined to solider on using ATA connections.

My question is: what are the best practices for doing so while also reducing the amount of times one must reset the ATA driver after dealing with problem discs (via uninstall+reinstall+reboot or via registry-changes+reboot)? Dealing with the problem on a single drive system is a nuisance, but dealing with the problem on a multi-drive and/or robotic system is a big workflow problem.

-brendan
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Best Practices for avoiding Microsoft's DMA -> PIO feature?

There is a registry tweak AFAIK that can lessen the fallback to PIO mode, but you cannot stop it 100%
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
      There is a registry tweak AFAIK that can lessen the fallback to PIO mode, but you cannot stop it 100%
      Right...so far I've seen Microsoft say:

1. An older hotfix and I believe the most recent service pack continues to include the PIO "feature"...but the hotfix and the service pack added support for the registry modification that allows you to limit this feature to some degree.

2. The registry modification of the feature changes the threshold from xx cumulative errors required to trigger the speed shift to xx consecutive errors required to trigger the speed shift.

Unfortunately, with damaged media, I am not sure how much that helps, esp. when performing re-rips that most certainly would continue to trigger the problem.

Another idea I had was to consider trying the third party Universal Ata Driver I've posted about previously.

Any other suggestions?

-brendan

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Here is the article about setting the computer to reset the counters on a successful read: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/

Read down to get the registry information.

Comment

Working...

]]>