title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Shorten for R12

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Shorten for R12

Using Shorten v3.6.0

Download:

638KB
    Last edited by LtData; August 04, 2007, 10:05 PM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • Fesick
    • Apr 2007

Re: Shorten for R12

I'm having an issue with this shorten plugin. I had batch converted a bunch of SHN files to FLAC (1.1.4) and noticed a pop noise at the end of some files in certain cases. I then generated WAV files a couple different ways and opened them in a wave editor to see what was going on. Files generated as follows:

a) SHN to WAV via db batch convert
    b) SHN to FLAC to WAV via db batch convert
    c) SHN to WAV via shorten
    d) WAV from (c) to FLAC to WAV via batch convert

a+b : noise present
    c+d : no noise present

a+b showed extra data appended as audio in Sound Forge 7 compared to c+d which were both good.

Opening files a+c in a hex editor, I did see some extra tag (?) text at the end of each wave file: "LISTT...INFOISFT....Sonic Foundry Sound Forge 6.0.IENG....Xxxxx Xxxxxxx.ICRD....2003-05-16.." (x'd out part was a name) which appears to be from the person who produced the SHN files originally.

I did a file compare using Beyond Compare and the only difference in the files was at the beginning of the file. Immediately after "data" in the header, the good file (c) has a "20" hex code and the noisy file (a) had a "7C".

Just my guess... the shorten plugin isn't propery writting the header of the wav file properly causing the tag data to be used as audio data.

I'm glad I had backups of the SHN files which I had deleted after converting!

I have a screen shot showing a,b and c in the editor if it'll help. I can also send you one of the files for testing.

Thanks,
    Jason

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

If you have a test file < 20 MB please send to me (just the shorten), from the looks of things, a riff chunk perhaps from the original wave is embedded into the shorten, I didn't think this was allowed, which program created the shorten files?

Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Fesick
        • Apr 2007

It was from a group of files that I downloaded, so I'm not sure of the source or what app created the shn files. After my post, I had installed the SHN plugin for winAmp, and that even has noise at the end of each track. So perhaps it is bad/illegal data being encoded into the shn files directly, but yet when I uncompress via shorten, it's not present. I'll email you a test file now.

Jason

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

The fix will not be easy, the decoder will need rewriting to a later shorten code, which is no small task. We will schedule the work when we can.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• eastcoast
            • May 2007

with this oh so lovely new codec, its now telling me to convert this old & in the way show from shn, to flac. its gonna take 26hrs.. at .01 speed.. now, um yea.. i thought new codecs were supposed to better performance, not drop it off to slower speeds than the 90s

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Now Released.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>